Retrieving work after trial period

Hi there,

I have recently used Scrivener for the 30 day trial period and loved it. I’m waiting on my work to pay for a subscription to the full version. In the mean time I need to access some of my work. Someone showed me how to access the plain text that I had written by going into a folder somewhere on my mac, but I can’t work out how to do it now! Do you guys know how I can access it? I just need some of the raw information to get me through the next few weeks.

I hope you can help me :slight_smile:

I use Scrivener on Windows, rather than Mac, so take the following with a bit of caution…

On a Mac, a Scrivener project, which is actually a folder containing lots of folders and files, apparently presents as though it is just a single file (a package).

See the following note by KB, creator of Scrivener.
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/repairing-a-frozen-broken-file/25277/3
Use steps 1-3 to locate the relevant Scrivener project and view its internals.
You’re interested in the .rtf files, which are the individual text documents within the project.

Before you attempt any of the following, you should make at least one copy/backup of the project for safety sake.

I’m not familiar with the particulars on a Mac, but you need to somehow extract/preview/open the .rtf files.
You may be able to do that within the package (folder) or you may have to copy/extract them out first.
Presumably can preview their contents via some utility (Finder itself?) or open them in various word processors presumably including Word, …

As to which .rtf file is which, you’ll probably just have to figure that out manually. There is an index file (name ends in .scrivx, typically project.scrivx), located at the highest level in the project folder/package, that has links tieing meaningful text document titles to the .rtf file names (which are just numbers, with .rtf on the ends). If you can figure out how to read it. Not sure, it may be plain text in Extensible Markup Language (XML) format.

Or buy a personal copy of Scrivener.

Hope that helps.

Another approach that may be easier to work with is the “search.indexes” file. This is a human-readable file that contains all of the text in your project, organised so that the title you gave something will be followed by its synopsis, notes and main text content, so it wouldn’t be hard to just open that and use it as your reference. To retrieve the file:

1. Right-click on the project file in Finder.
  2. Select “Show Package Contents”.
  3. Navigate into the Files folder.
  4. Hold down the Option key and drag the “search.indexes” file out to the Desktop.

Now you can close the project file window. I would recommend changing the name of the file on the desktop to end in “.txt” so that it opens in a normal text editor without any fuss.

I do also recommend making a quick backup before ever clicking on “Show Package Contents”. This is very easy to do. Just right-click on the project and select the “Compress…” option. A zip file will appear alongside the project file a few moments later. Now you’re safe to dig around in the project. If for some reason it gets damaged, you can just trash it and double-click on the .zip file to extract a fresh copy immediately.