Returning hierarchical folders to Leopard

I just installed Leopard on several machines and found that Stacks takes away my beloved hierarchical folder menus in the Dock, a constant feature in all previous issues of OS X.

Previously, I kept on the dock aliases of folders containing Applications, Utilities, and Favorites. That saves space on the Dock for items I use often.

But, despair not. Charles O’Rourke wrote a little application called Hierarchy that brings back hierarchical folders. You drag his app to the Dock, launch, and a menu appears on the desktop. I placed it on the far right, under my disk icons, and dragged my Home, Applications, Documents, and Favorites folders there. Click-hold on them, and the folders and sub-folders all appear. (It’s not a system hack.)

The software is free, but he has a tip jar on his site, and I’m sending a donation in thanks. Well worth it to get this feature back. There are many complaints on the boards about this aspect of Stacks.

charlesorourke.com/hierarchy/

There’s also Quay, which is less free (that is, completely paid software), but has generated a lot of buzz. Haven’t tried it myself.

brockerhoff.net/quay/