Returning to same position in document when navigating

Hi – I’m just trying out Scrivener. I tend to jump around between documents and then use shortcut keys to navigate back to where I had just previously been. I might be doing something wrong, but scrivener seems to place the cursor at the top of the document when it navigates back; for me it would be better if it remembered the last cursor position for each document and go there when I navigate to a document. Is this possible?

thanks, nehal

Hmm, that should be working just fine, especially with the history function. There is one limitation with storing the cursor position in a Scrivenings session1—since that represent an entity that only exists while you are looking at it. There is nowhere to store the precise information cursor position reliably in that case. However, when using the history buttons, the cursor position is stored into the history “buffer”, so in a sense it does exist beyond the point when you are looking at it.

Let me know roughly what steps you are taking, as in which buttons or hotkeys you are using so that I can try on my end and see if I get the same result. For example:

1. I click on a folder, and hit Cmd-1 to view as Scrivenings if necessary.

2. Scroll down to the middle and select some text.

3. Click on a single file in the Binder.

4. Click back on the same folder from step 1.
    The cursor will be at the top of the session as expected.

5. However, now try hitting Cmd-[ twice (to go back from the folder to the single file clicked on in step #3, and then the second time to the session created in step #1).

Now the highlight should be preserved since you are restoring the session rather than creating it anew.

Notes

1. If you haven’t played with that yet, then this probably isn’t relevant to the problem you are experiencing, but you can see what I’m referring to by clicking on a folder with several items in it, and then using the View/Scrivenings menu command to edit all of the individual text files together as though they were one.