Reverse Engineering: Word to Kindle to Scrivener

I have got myself into a muddle. I have written my book and it is now available on Createstore and in Kindle format on Kindle Direct Publishing. In spite of a small army of proof readers some errors crept in and I am struggling to correct them on the Kindle Direct Publishing site. The reason, I think, is that I have not followed the logical routes for creating mobi files with Scrivener.

I created a docx version using Word by compiling from Scrivener. Subsequently I edited parts of this docx file and then re-uploaded them to CreateStore. However the corrections are now in my Word document and not on Scrivener so how do I correct the mobi file for uploading to Kindle Direct Publishing? I have tried saving the docx as a RTF file and then importing that as a new project into Scrivener but the resulting mobi file is a mess. All my paragraphs have lost their following blank line and the Table of Contents that my Word document created is a nightmare.

So, how would I get out of this chaos? Thanks

How many edits are we talking about? Might it be easier to just track through the .docx file and manually make the changes in Scrivener to get it back up to date? Admittedly not a favourite way to spend the afternoon, but it works.

Before that though, I’d giving importing another shot. Try using RTF though, instead of .docx. The latter has formatting bugs, which it sounds like you might have run into at least one of.

Unfortunately we are talking about half a dozen edits and I don’t think making the changes manually in Scrivener is really an option. I will give the RTF another try. Thanks

Hmmm. that is looking a lot better. Thank you.
I now have about 30 text sections. How do I force each on of these onto a new page for my mobi file?

Check the Separators compile option pane. Depending on the structure in your binder, one of those options should give you an easy way to insert section breaks between them all. If all thirty are individual text documents in the binder, then the top option that inserts a separator between two files in the output will be what you want. This will also insert the sections into the automatically generated Table of Contents.

Thank you again. I think we are almost there.
I have selected Section Break in the separators. I am testing the resultant mobi file on Calibre. It creates the hyperlinks to the separate chapter (texts) but when I read the text as a mobi file it is still presenting as an endless text. I can see the headings for the chapters but it doesn’t look very tidy. What I want to do is keep the hyperlinks as they are, giving access to each section and starting that section at the top of the Kindle page BUT I also want to force those chapter (text) breaks into new pages so that in paging through the document each chapter starts on a new page. Is that possible? Thank you.

Well, how to display a section break is a decision that is up to the reader software, you can’t really control that. Calibre doesn’t display section breaks like a publisher printing a book on paper might, but there are some e-reader applications that do. iBooks is the closet, even drawing a blank left page in some case when in landscape mode, which I feel is a bit gratuitous, but that is why we have choice. :slight_smile: Kindle is kind of in between. It will cut the reader off and force them to flip the page early for a section break, which is pretty close to how a page break works, just without the simulation of paper. To see how Kindle works, use the Kindle Previewer software which you can download for free from Amazon’s web site. Same place you get KindleGen from.