Rogue backslashes inserted in Footnote when compiling for Markdown

Hi
I have a Latex equation in my Scrivener for Markdown project which is passed through to my *.md file perfectly as main Section text:
$\omega = 0.2 \times 10^{-6} {~rads^{-1}}$
but if I place the same text in a Footnote the Compiler inserts a lot of additional backslashes:
$\omega = 0.2 \times 10^{-6} {~rads^{-1}}$
What is going on here please? Footnote doesn’t appear to have an associated Style, so I can’t see what is causing the text to be modified…
Thanks if you can help.

OK. This is odd. The text which I cut and pasted from my *.md file lost its additional backslashes when I submitted the query… Is that a hint as to what’s happening???
Let’s try that as: $\\omega = 0.2 \\times 10\^\{-6\} \{\~rads\^\{-1\}\}$

It looks like there is a bug with inspector footnotes that causes them to be treated as rich text instead of Markdown. You can see the problem with other Markdown as well, like [link text](URL) ends up with the brackets escaped.

Looks like the work-around is to convert the footnote with an equation (or any other Markdown you need preserved) into an inline annotation. Select the text containing the footnote marker in the main editor, and use Edit ▸ Transformations ▸ Convert Inspector Footnotes to Inline Footnotes.

P.S. The forum uses Markdown, which it looks like you figured out, hence backslashes getting lost as that \\ means \.

1 Like

Thanks Amber (and especially for being so fast to respond)!
Your fix works for the particular problem I cited, but I’m still having trouble with other formatting in the footnotes. For instance if I copy in text with a Subscript or Superscript style (I’m using Custom versions for Markdown), the styling does not get applied. Is this part of the same bug? I can’t quite figure out where the Section Style for the Footnote gets applied in the Compiler…

Yeah, inspector footnotes are a bit more limited in what kind of formatting you can put into them, they don’t support styles. You could just use the Markdown syntax for sub/super-scripting here, or again use inline annotations for more complex footnotes—or even just Markdown footnotes if you’d rather have the text of them set aside rather than inline. I sometimes put footnotes at the bottom of the current section, using the standard notation directly. They will co-exist with the notation Scrivener generates.

I can’t quite figure out where the Section Style for the Footnote gets applied in the Compiler…

What is it in particular you are looking to do? There is no style that gets applied to footnotes, or any options at all for them with Markdown, as they are relatively straight-forward in terms of syntax.

1 Like

As someone who’s now using Scrivener as a rich-text-capable markdown editor (for later converting md with pandoc), I think @AmberV’s responses in this thread would be good to have in the Scrivener > Markdown & LaTeX forum as well. I’m glad I caught it here (despite using a Mac), as these tips will surely help me one day!

Just to note one thing, with regards to the Mac, the overall limitations of inspector footnotes do stand (and impact all users), but some of the specific issues they exhibit here are bugs in the Windows version, which is why I have it filed there.

It would be good to have a little summary of the different notation types, and how that relates to Markdown usage. I’ll see about putting together some thoughts on that for the Markdown area.

1 Like

Got it! Didn’t realize that!