Running OS X Scrivener on an iPad....

[b]NOTE: I posted this below, but I thought I’d also put it in front of everything else so everyone is warned that this is still a beta product.

Sorry guys, you might want to wait before you buy. It worked fine as a display. It created problems when I wasn’t using it as one.

Situation: iTunes would take forever to load. Then both my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 would give “do you trust this computer messages.” I’d answer trust, but neither would show up in iTunes despite repeated restarts of iTunes, changing cables etc. I uninstalled their OS X app, and all is fine.

Not sure what the problem is. I’ve told them about it and the app store has numerous other bug reports.

I’d suggest not buying now. Just put it on your wish list and way for all these troubles to be fixed.

Sorry for the bum steer. I do think it will prove to be worth the $10/15, particularly for those with small laptops. It’s just not ready quite yet.

–Mike
------[/b]

Pity the Scrivener team. They’ve been laboring for ever so long to get Scrivener running on an iPad, when all along, there was a much simpler solution. An app, created, by some ex-Apple engineers, that’ll do it for them. Just look below at my iPad 3 with Scrivener for Mac on the screen. No deceptions. That really is Scrivener.

Well, not quite. Scrivener is actually running on my Mac mini, just out of sight. The new app turns most iPad and iPhones into a display attached to a Mac through your USB cable, eliminating the lag caused by a the WiFi connection other display apps use. Here’s the link:

itunes.apple.com/us/app/duet-di … d935754064

The $9.99 is the opening price. It’ll soon go up, although I forget to what or when.
ADDITION: An email I got from them on Friday, 12/19 says: "Today only! (Regular price $14.99)

Does it work? As a display quite well. The developers connections to Apple allowed them to add the proper display drivers to OS X to make it look like just another display and what’s running on an iPad or iPhone is simply an app.

When I put Scrivener’s main window on it, composite mode opened in my one of my other displays just like normal. It really does work precisely like merely another display attached to your Mac. The mouse moves onto it, the menus come down, and everything works normally. As boys in 1950s sitcoms liked to say, “That’s real swell.”

What works so erratically, it’s currently useless, is touching the iPad screen. Things happen, they’re just not predictable or useful That may get worked out in time and, if it does, this added display might become even more helpful. As is, you’ll simply need to mouse over to your iPad or iPhone like with any other display.

ADDITION: Here is their FAQ:

duetdisplay.com/faq

What is it best for? Adding another display if one would be helpful for you. If you’ve already got an iPad, it’ll only cost you $10. And where it’s probably best for is adding a second display to a laptop, particularly a MacBook Air. An iPad will weigh far less than virtually any second display you might find and almost double your screen real estate.

–Mike Perry, Inkling Books, co-author of Lily’s Ride
inklingbooks.prosite.com/221883/ … lilys-ride
iPad-Scrivener.JPG

I’ve shown the iPad in landscape, but when rotated, it’ll switch to portrait mode and re-synch with the Mac. In portrait mode, it might make be ideal as the composition screen connected to a MBA that has the regular Scrivener window on its screen.

It’s be great if those who have MBAs could test and report on how well it works with Scrivener. I can’t do that because the Mac side only runs under Mavericks or later and my aging MacBook dropped out of OS X upgrades long before that.

–Mike Perry

Interesting. I’ll definitely keep that one in mind.

I was considering Air Display:
avatron.com/applications/air-display/

To do pretty much the same thing, but as noted probably a bit laggy due it being wifi.

LOL, I wonder if I can run a USB cable out to my deck, the plan being to let me work outdoors in the summer without having to buy a laptop…

I don’t feel so bad for the iOS developer; her solution will not require you keep a Mac within USB cable range. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice to know if I ever get an iPad, I have options for using it as a second display for my MB Air.

Sorry guys, you might want to wait before you buy. It worked fine as a display. It created problems when I wasn’t using it as one.

Situation: iTunes would take forever to load. Then both my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 would give “do you trust this computer messages.” I’d answer trust, but neither would show up in iTunes despite repeated restarts of iTunes, changing cables etc. I uninstalled their OS X app, and all is fine.

Not sure what the problem is. I’ve told them about it and the app store has numerous other bug reports.

I’d suggest not buying now. Just put it on your wish list and way for all these troubles to be fixed.

Sorry for the bum steer. I do think it will prove to be worth the $10/15, particularly for those with small laptops. It’s just not quite ready yet.

–Mike

LOL, I wonder if I can run a USB cable out to my deck, the plan being to let me work outdoors in the summer without having to buy a laptop...

By summer, Scrivener for iOS should be out and you’ll not need to use this stop gap. Like me, you seem to be planning to use an iPad in lieu of a laptop.

Also, keep in mind that this new app simply creates a display. It doesn’t run the app remotely. You’ll still need to be close enough to your computer for the keyboard and mouse to work.

Perhaps we should start a lottery for the day, hour and minute iOS Scrivener steps out into the world.

–Mike

There are people using Word 365 or Google Doc online. Why not doing the same with Scrivener? Just get a VNC client for the iPad, enable the VNC server in your Mac, install a remote app like Fing to remotely awake your Mac and let the Mac be awakened from remote, and you can run Scrivener from your iPad everywhere you are.

Paolo
scrivener-ipad.png