Sad farewell (and glowing "review") to Scrivener

I’ve been using Scrivener for several months to work on a novel – milked the trial period, and finally paid. Made more rapid progress (about 40,000 words in a month or so at one point) than I’d ever managed in the past, and Scrivener’s integrated view of the whole book played (I believe) a big part in that.

And now that I’ve paid, I’m leaving it. And I’ll really miss it. I’m re-switching, back to Windows it now looks like – please, let’s not go to why, this isn’t that sort of message.

Scrivener really is what it says it is, and that is just so rare in software. It’s unpretentious, yet powerful, and the openness of the package-based file structure means that anyone who wants to (like me) is free to leave at any time. Oh, I know: It was probably simpler to do it that way, but you know what? I think it also shows something about the author – whether that’s mostly conscientiousness or confidence, I’m not sure, but I believe a bit of both.

So, anyone looking for something to organize long-form work, who uses a Mac, is going to get a strong recommendation from me to try out Scrivener. Sure, it’s a little weak on stuff like footnotes, but the organizing capability and the openness of the package-format just makes it so hard to beat.

Happy scrivenings & luck to all…

Something you might want to do prior to switching to Windows for good is using the Export feature (not compile) to dump the Binder to files and folders. Just select everything in the Binder and export it all using the options you prefer. This will let you retain notes and meta-data, as well as your titles and organisation. A little easier than all the numbered files in the package itself.

I know you don’t want to go into it, but as a die hard winblows avoider i would be interested in what is pushing you in that direction…

And if it is not hardware related, have you considered just buying a copy of Windows and installing it on your Mac as a BootCamp partition? Then you can still have the benefits of a Mac (and Scrivener), and possibly save money since you don’t have to switch hardware, too.

as much as boot camp sounds good, my experience is that parallels/fusion is much more usable for “normal” folks who want to use the two side by side. That said there are distinct advantages to bootcamp, but those are typically on the edge of “normal” computing (games, cad, render engine, etc).

Yes, this is true !!! When Parallels runs in “coherence mode” it is hard to realize in which operating system you are working in (a part the quality of the applications you are using, obviously).