"safe document saving" crashed

I updated to 1.9.9.0 and turned on the “use safe document saving mechanism” option. It worked for awhile but then crashed. The error message that appeared was quite lengthy; I cannot remember it all. It referred, however, to the warning about saving to remote locations: dropbox for instance.

This warning was not relevant in my case. Scrivener and my Scrivener files are located on my desktop. My desktop has only one hard drive. Everything is local. I am using Windows 10 Home.

I made a copy of the document that crashed, and I have been using it to continue with my writing. The document is fairly long at this point: about 25,000 words and many linked graphics. I have not been through it to check its integrity. I don’t have the time at the moment, although I suppose I’ll find out when I try to compile. Sigh.

I’d never had an error on saving before so I returned to ‘options’ and deselected “use safe document saving mechanism.”

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about your project crash.

I don’t have anything useful to suggest regarding that specific event–perhaps someone from L&L will chime in–but I do think it would be a good idea for you to locate your most recent backup(s) prior to the crash and copy them to a folder outside of your default backup folder.

This would give you a zipped backup of a prior project version to fall back on if needed.

Scrivener’s default setting keeps only the last 5x backups, so if you’re interested in retaining that last backup prior to the crash, you’ll need to make a copy of it quickly.

Jim