Safe to Rename the Scrivx file?

Within each Scrivener project folder there is the “project.scrivx” file to launch everything.

Can I rename that filename, (not the extension), to whatever I want? I’ve tried some tests and it seems to be fine but are there potential dangers?

Rick Grant
Calgary

I wouldn’t, personally. :slight_smile: Everything inside the .scriv folder is a part of the format, messing with anything in there is unsupported.

That’s good enough for me. Thank you.

I’d like to say that, while it is unsupported, I have been renaming my scrivx files ever since I started using Scrivener and haven’t had anything bad happen yet. The nice thing about renaming them is that I can then pin the different scrivx files to my scrivener taskbar icon (Win7), so I can just right click it and choose which project to open into. If you don’t rename the files, this process is a nightmare, as all projects you pin will just be called “project” and you won’t be able to distinguish between them.

True, although another approach is to use shortcuts of the .scrivx file, which can be placed anywhere convenient and renamed independently from the thing they are referring to.

1 Like

Yes, such shortcuts can be renamed independently. However, if the shortcuts are pinned to the Scrivener taskbar icon, they still show up as “project” in the right-click jump list, rather than what the shortcut is named.

As someone who works almost primarily on my documents using jump lists, this is an important distinction.

Swapping between Mac and Windows, I’ve noticed that if I create a project on windows, and then open it on my mac, when I return the project to the windows side, the .scrivx file has been renamed to match the project (.scriv directory) name. Mac-created projects seem to start out with the .scrivx filename matching the project name.

Is there a reason that the windows version doesn’t do this?

Is there a reason the Mac version does? :smiley:

The Mac version will also overwrite the name of the binder folder in the .scrivx file back to “binder” if you have changed it (The Windows version looks to the .scrivx file to decide what to call the binder).

It makes more sense for the Windows version to keep the name of the .scrivx file consistent with the folder name so that a search for “*.scrivx” would result in a list of recognizable projects that a person could double-click on to launch scrivener and open the associated project. On Mac os, you can create a saved binder search for all “.scriv” bundles that accomplishes the same, and it doesn’t matter what the .scrivx filename is.

If I remember right, the reason we went with project.scrivx instead of myfoldername.scrivx is that there was confusion over what to double-click on to open the project in the early public beta. Calling it ‘project.scrivx’ pretty much eradicated that problem (though with the unfortunate side-effect of causing people to think ‘project.scrivx’ is the whole tamale).

This is why I rename all my scrivx files clickmedumbass.scrivx

Also, hmmm tamales.

Tamales? I miss living in a place where you can get them fresh.

Didn’t know you could rename the scrivx file. Learn something new every day…

I’m lucky to live in a place where little old grandmas walk around with tamale carts, selling packs of five hot ones for a fiver. :slight_smile:

They need to franchise out here. I don’t think New England knows what a tamale is, much less a fresh one cooked by someone’s abuela. :slight_smile:

So, just to be clear here, can I or can I not rename the .scrivx file?

As a previous poster said, it makes it easier to identify on the quick launch bar.

Rick Grant
Calgary

Well, the official view was: Don’t.

Why? Well, screwing around with stuff in the folder can break it and can create a support nightmare.
Also, if the format version of the .scriv file changes (it’s currently on version 16) then even something that didn’t have an impact before might suddenly have one now. Why would the version change? Well, if it needs to in order to accomodate some new feature, or to enable combatability with the program on a new OS are two potential reasons.

But…

As long as this is the only thing you change (and you leave the .scrivx extension alone) then it’s pretty low risk. For one thing, the Mac and Windows versions already have different approaches here, so any future version change will have to have some solution for the different naming conventions.

I personally have changed my project names on occasion without incident and am unconcerned with any downside repercussions. Then again, I’m happy with my backup system (WOoooh TOUCH WOOD!) and am the kind of guy that goes tearing through the files in a text editor to see how they work. IE, you may have a different risk threshold to me.

Note, you may need to reset any ‘recently opened’ lists within the program itself to allow for the changes.

I’m reviving this year-old thread to ask whether the risks of doing this renaming have changed in v. 1.7.1. Since earlier contributors to the thread reported no problems when doing so in the previous version, I’ve already gone ahead and renamed a number of my most active Scrivener projects from “project.scrivx” to something like “The project’s actual name.scrivx.” This makes them much easier to locate and open using, say, the Windows Recent Items menu, or, as Sanguinius suggested, from the menu of items pinned to the Scrivener icon on the Windows 7 taskbar. I just want to know if I’m going to wake up tomorrow and find everything fouled up so that I have to go back and rename them all “project.scrivx.”

FWIW, the way I’m actually using this is with Directory Opus, a Windows Explorer replacement, employing its file collections feature. I can drag all my .scrivx files into a collection, which creates a link there. Then, from this central collection, I can open the projects as I need them. Having the projects’ distinctive names showing in the collection is obviously indispensable. Previously, I had created links to their .scriv folders, which then involved the extra step of clicking the link in the collection, then with the .scriv folder open clicking project.scrivx. Using the renamed .scrivx files in the collection cuts down on the waste of precious clicks. :wink:

Of course with shortcuts though, you can rename the shortcut to whatever you want after you’ve created it. It doesn’t even have to have the right extension. Or maybe that’s not how Opus works, though that would seem odd to me. Being able to rename the link is one of the fundamental advantages to using links.

You’re right, it is possible, I see when I try it out, to rename the links in the Opus collection. That might be safer, but I’m such an edgy guy I gotta take the chance. :laughing: Actually, it’s mainly that I like the aesthetics of having the .scrivx file have its own project’s proper name.

I realize the renaming isn’t really supported by the program (I didn’t hear you say that 1.7.1 likes it any better than 1.6.1!), but to me this actually seems safer in its way than having them all called project.scrivx, since I’ll always know exactly which file I’m operating on. The exact file on which I’m operating, I mean (I’m not that edgy).

Right, I don’t think anything in 1.7.1 would change the main potential problem. In theory it should be fine—the only condition I can think of where it might cause problems is multi-platform. Since Mac users don’t see this .scrivx file at all, just the top-level folder, and interact with it as a file, Scrivener has to find the .scrivx file. It does a pretty good job of doing so, but there are cases where it can get confused. That’s my main concern, and if you never edit on a Mac, it’s nothing to worry about.