Safe to update to Mojave on September 24th?

Hi Literature and Latte,

Will it be safe to update to macOS Mojave on September 24th? I am using Scrivener 3.0.3. Are there any compatibility issues with Scrivener?

As a general rule, installing a new version of Mac OS as soon as it is released is often a terrible idea. I usually wait until at least the .1 or .2 release.

Scrivener 2 was NOT compatible with the early Mojave betas. Apple has said Mojave will continue to support 32-bit applications, but I would recommend waiting for confirmation of that if you are using Scrivener 2.

Scrivener 3 will support Mojave, and you should expect to see an update release if necessary about the time Mojave comes out.

But I’d still wait a bit. Especially if you have a deadline looming.

Katherine

I have used Scrivener 3 on all of the public betas of Mojave without issue. There is no Scriven-noir as yes to take advantage of Mojave’s dark-mode features, but aside from that, Scrivener has run without issue.

Personally, I think Mojave is better, faster, and more reliable than High Sierra, but I run my Macs pretty clean: the core OS, some Apple programs, Scrivener, and about a dozen third-party apps.

I don’t agree with the suggestion of delaying until a .x release, as bugs can crop up in any OS build, so all the user does is wait and miss out on all the loveliness and potential that is available right now. Yes, problems might crop up, just as they might crop up after a security release in High Sierra or a point release in Scrivener. But I am like that in life in general: I leap in, embrace the new, and move on – few things in life can’t be resolved, especially in the minor sideshow of a personal computer where it is usually pretty easy to reinstall and restore from a backup. I’m more carpe diem 1,0 than carpe diem 1.2. Completely respect other people’s views, even if I don’t share them. It’s just a little OS update, not a life-and-death choice, so why wait? Jam today and jam tomorrow. Who cares if you get a little jam on your fingers – you can always lick them clean or wash them.

Ioa has some additional insights in this post:
literatureandlatte.com/foru … 45#p274445

Slàinte mhòr.

Some additional thoughts:

Scrivener 3.0.3 works in Mojave. Does every possible compile combination work in Mojave? Who knows? Does every possible compile combination work in High Sierra?

If we applied the wait-until-.x logic to all software, few apps would see the light of day. Scrivener would probably just be an idea stuck in the developer’s head: no one would have bought Scrivener 3. If we applied it to all products, few things would ever get made.

With millions (9to5mac.com/2018/07/31/how-many … ios-betas/) of beta testers pawing over recent OS developments, a new OS today is what a .2 or .3 release would have been in years or decades past.

Perhaps there is something in Mojave that will transform you, your work, or your life. Might make you a Nobel Laureate. Perhaps it can only be seen by you if you upgrade on 24 September. Would you want to miss out on that possibility? Of course, it might be in .3. No one can ever know. The world might end before .3 is released. You might never use Mojave. So why not seize the day while you can?

Slàinte mhòr.

Initial release of High Sierra includes huge security vulnerability:
forbes.com/sites/thomasbrew … bae95c3200

Security patch to High Sierra contains another big security risk:
wired.com/story/macos-high- … hack-root/

Funny how millions of beta testers didn’t find these bugs before release day.

So, no. I wouldn’t update on the 24th. At least wait until Oct 1, which is enough time for new bugs to surface as millions of other suckers spring the traps in the path ahead. Then decide if those bugs are tollerable for you, or if you want to wait a week after the next update. And repeat until a couple of months after the initial release.

… but if everyone waited, nobody would ever find any bugs and there wouldn’t be any x.1 version, and nobody would ever update…

If everyone always expected someone else to take the first step, nobody would ever move.

I will probably upgrade on the 25th, because of the time difference between Europe and western US. :slight_smile:

Last I checked, the people reading this forum were hardly “everyone”. [size=150]I[/size] expect that [size=150]lots[/size] of people will leap without looking. I’ll be here listening for any splats, squelches, or cries of agony as millions of people test their new Apple Bungee Cords, guaranteed to be just short enough.

Have fun on the way down, thrill seekers. I’m going to take the stairs.

To answer the original question, in regard to Scrivener, it’s as safe to update to Mojave as it is with any other app. Scrivener 3.0.3 works perfectly well on Mojave, with only a few minor UI glitches (faded text in certain popovers) which are bug in Mojave rather than Scrivener (bugs I’ve had to work around for the next update).

As JoRo noted, Scrivener 3.0.3 doesn’t support dark mode, so if you switch to dark mode on Mojave, you’ll find that Scrivener is still running as a light mode app - it will look exactly as it does now. Dark mode support is a huge task, because even though Apple did everything they could to make it as easy for developers as possible, they can’t remove all of thew work no matter what they do. In an app such as Scrivener, which contains over 1,000 icon and graphics files and literally hundreds of custom UI controls, it’s a long-winded task to go through and update all of the code to support dark mode. I’m most of the way there now (and there’s a sneak peak at the end of this post), but it won’t be ready for Monday.

One thing to bear in mind with Mojave, though, is that, just as I have had to go through and update all of my code to support dark mode, so has Apple. I’m assuming this is why Mojave is one of the buggiest macOS betas I have seen in a long time, especially in regard to UI elements. A lot of those bugs are still in there, so will no doubt be there on release day. Most are quite minor, but they have still required workarounds in my code - for instance, try backspacing to delete a bunch of newlines in TextEdit on Mojave and you’ll find the blinking caret completely disappears. I doubt Apple will fix these bugs in a point update, though - my experience is that you have to wait for the next full OS release for most bugs to get fixed.

All the best,
Keith

They have found bugs in Intel and other processors that go back decades. Sure, some things get missed, even by hundreds of millions (even billions) of users. Not a reason not to try things. In fact, it is a reason to try, because by trying, you help to improve things for everyone. Suckers? Bit of an ad hominem response, is it not? We’re not suckers because we’re happy to experience new things, even if they aren’t perfect. We’re just joining in and capable of dealing with the bumps in the road. We can hang back and miss out on so much. Nothing comes without risk. You were a beta tester for Scrivener. I don’t think that made you a sucker. I’m grateful for the work you did to make Scrivener what it is. Thank you.

Mojave works with Scrivener. It’s a good experience.

Slàinte mhòr.

Loving the look of Scriven-noir.

I can’t get TextEdit to make the blinking caret disappear. Am I doing something different?

TextEdit.gif

Slàinte mhòr.

The bug only appears when you are editing rich text - that looks as though you are editing plain text. Try going to Format > Make Rich Text and doing the same thing again.

I reported the bug to Apple on August 6th as bug ID#42977334. They closed it on September 5th (without a reply before then) as a duplicate of ID#43574405 - that’s right, they closed it as a duplicate of a bug they received long afterwards; the bug they said mine was a duplicate of came 597,071 reports after the one I sent them at the start of August. That should give you some idea of how many bug reports Apple receives. :slight_smile:

Thanks. Rich Text makes a difference. Minor, but a bug. A little rough with a lot of smooth.

Lots of bug reports. Lots of people helping to iron things out. Some might be user error, of course. We get complaints on the forum about Scrivener not doing X, Y, or Z. Often, Scrivener works, but the user doesn’t.

Longing to try Scrivener in dark mode. Become a fan. Thought I’d hate it as a general interface.

Slàinte mhòr.

I plan to hold off, not because of any particular app, but because of the reported overzealous permissions requirements for automation…see felix-schwarz.org/blog/2018 … cos-mojave - of course this depends on how you use your mac.

On the other hand, maybe the deadline for your potential Pulitzer-winning novel is October 1, and any computer issues between now and then could cause you to miss it.

Katherine

Yep, that is pretty bad. Just to open MathType from Scrivener you get about ten “do you want Scrivener to control system services?” messages, and if you mistakenly say no to any of them, it is very hard to reverse the decision. The overzealous protections on Mojave are painful. I’m all for security and privacy, but I still want to be able to use my desktop machine like a desktop machine, with easy interaction between apps.

Sounds like OSX is becoming more like windows in this regard. I’m already annoyed with the existing level of “do you wanna”. Looks like I’m back to not liking ANY OS.

Paper and pen look to be my future mode of existence. need to find a bank that sends paper statements still.

And those issues might be with High Sierra, or Scrivener, or your ISP, or a power outage, or anything at all.

Act early, I think. But we’re all different. Plenty of space for diverse ideas.

The OP asked if Scrivener 3.0.3 works in Mojave. It does. Joy.

Slàinte mhòr.

Would preemptively adding (the user) Scrivener to ‘Full Disk Access’ avoid the “do you want Scrivener to control system services?” prompts?

Article on Mojave privacy protection: eclecticlight.co/2018/09/06/wor … rotection/

(A general Mojave search at eclecticlight finds additional interesting articles.)

Right, but if you’ve been using High Sierra and the current version of Scrivener since June, it’s unlikely that a show-stopping bug will suddenly appear. If there were an issue there, you’d probably know about it already.

Katherine

Well, I’ve been using Mojave and the current version of Scrivener since June, so if there were an issue, I’d probably know about it already. And High Sierra has been updated since June, so…

I think Mojave trounces High Sierra. Both have glitches. But Mojave wins, for me.

Malcolm Gladwell has a diverting podcast that touches on this issue: pull the goalie – the sooner the better.

Malcolm Gladwell’s 12 Rules for Life:
revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ … s-for-life
itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/mal … 01884&mt=2

Slàinte mhòr.