same name 2 different files

I went to erase the one I didn’t want under the recent project tab bc it had the least work in it only the OTHER file (the one with the most work) was deleted instead. Is there anyway I can undo what I did without having to start over. Im just doing the 30 day trial right now so that’s also a concern; that I’ll lose it anyway. I hope whoever is reading this understands what I’m asking bc I really dont want to start over if I dont have to

I’m not sure how you deleted a project using Scrivener. As far as I know, there is no way to select a project from the File->Recent Projects list and delete it. How did you accomplish this?

As for the trial; the only thing that will happen at the end of the trial is that Scrivener (the program) won’t do anything for you (except maybe let you compile/export your work… don’t know; I never even considered letting the trial run out). So consider compiling your work every day that you use Scrivener, so that you could continue working in a regular word processor. But if you pay for a license, then you’ll just be able to continue working.

If you delete a file (presumably from Explorer) in Windows, doesn’t it just go the the system’s trash, from where it can be retrieved?

Does the Windows version of Scrivener back files up as the Mac version does? Recover a backup from there?

You don’t by any chance mean you deleted the file from the Binder do you? If so, it should be in your Trash folder at the bottom of the binder - if that’s the case, just drag the file back out.

Otherwise, I’m not seeing a way to actually delete a file from the Recent Projects List, can you give more details?

If you did indeed delete something and it’s not in Scrivener’s Trash, go to Tools | Options, Click on the Backup option at the bottom of the left column, and then the Open Backup Folder button - your 5 most recent copies of the project should be there (I think 5 is the default).

First of all while you may think its impossible to select a project from the File->Recent Projects list and delete it. but obviously it can happen because I did it THAT’S how I accomplished that. I am not stupid. This was just a case of being inexperienced with the program. And another thing you might want to reword how you comment to people’s questions because with me it came out sounding kind of douche-y sprinkled with an “I know it all” attitude

In the vein of Tony Curtis et al …

I’m robertdguthrie

youtube.com/watch?v=-8h_v_our_Q

Don’t get how you read robertdguthrie’s post as you did, but just to say that he has helped so many people on the forum. He’s very knowledgeable, kind, and generous with his time.

Hope you get your file back.

Merry Christmas.

I have NO idea HOW it happened either. Leave it up to me to invent a new unwanted feature for Scrivener lol. I right clicked the Recent Projects List then BOOM! it disappeared :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well, according to the Scrivener for Windows manual, there’s no way to do it. Look at page 50, section 7.5 Moving and Deleting Projects:

So, you may have found a bug. It order to track it down, as well as to receive the help you expect, it’d be useful if you can tell us how did you manage to do it, so it becomes easier to find a way to un-do it.

BTW, I don’t think anyone on this forum, and Robert in particular, has willingly tried to show off how much he knows. Most people in this forum try genuinely to help according to their knowledge, so if you expect to get some help around here (which you certainly will), I suggest you to hold your horses and be nice to people trying to assist you.

Where was the actual file stored? Is it possible that it cleared the list of recent items (or one item on the list), but actually left the file itself in place?

If a file has been deleted, would it not be moved to the system’s trash?

Okay, so just to be clear since there’s two possible locations - do you mean the Recent Project List available from the File Menu, or the Open Recent button at the bottom of the New Project window?

Edit: Nevermind, I see you answered that above.

In either case, I can’t reproduce that. Not doubting your experience, it’s just not typical.

However, at the very bottom of either location there is a Clear Menu option, if you inadvertently hit that, then the menu would have been cleared - but the project should still be on your hard drive. Try searching your computer for *.scrivx that should turn up any wayward projects.

SarsenLintel is absolutely on the right track here. To further ellucidate, that list is merely a convenience. If files disappear from it, there are usually 3(possibly 4) reasons for that.

1. Scrivener noted that the target project is no longer where it “remembers” it being.
  2. You clear the entire list
  3. You open 1 more project than Scrivener is currently set to “remember” in the Recents list. (see Tools->Options->General->Number of Recent Projects setting to increase the length of the list).
  4. You triggered a bug (or undocumented feature) that allowed you to alter the list of recent projects.

As far as I know (which almost always falls short of “it all” 8) ) there’s no code in Scrivener that can delete a project, so searching your hard drive as Sarsen suggests will likely turn up all the copies of that project.

Side note (on project names and backups): It’s best to avoid using the same exact name for two projects for a number of reasons (likely most of which are obvious to you), but the most important one is Scrivener’s automatic backups. All automatic backups use the same folder (Tools->Options->Backup will reveal where that is). The backup code seems to use the project’s name to decide when to throw out older backups. By default, it keeps 5 of each project, but if 2 projects share the same name, then you’ll end up with one set of backups for both, with little information to distinguish between the two. That way, madness lies. Once you get this sorted out, I suggest you either trash the errant copy (if that’s what it is), or rename it to make it and its backups distinct from the primary project of that name.

I’ll bear that in mind. Sorry to have offended.