"Saved Using a Newer Version of Scrivener..."

Hello! I’ve been working on the Mac OS version and I’ve finally bought myself a Windows license because my Macbook died and when I attempted to open my project, I got this error. Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Scrivener.JPG

Thank you for any help!

Hi bravethefog,

It looks like you were writing in Mac v3, whose format is incompatible with the current production Windows 1.9 version that you just purchased.

There is a Win v3 in the works, but it’s currently in beta, so still buggy. When L&L does release the Windows v3 version, you will be entitled to a free upgrade.

But until then, you need something that works now, so here are a couple different scenarios/options for you to consider.

1. It sounds like you no longer own a Mac. Do you know anyone who owns a Mac, and has Scrivener v3 loaded on it? If so, send them your project and have them use the “Export to v2” feature to downgrade it. Your downgraded project will then work with Windows v1.9. If you email L&L support, they might do this for you.

2. Download and try the Windows Beta. (Unfortunately, the “Export to v2” feature hasn’t been implemented in the beta yet.) It will be able to open your v3 project as is. It’s a beta, so there’ll be bugs, but lots of people are currently using it. I don’t use it myself, but I can’t recall seeing anything related to data corruption. Mostly cosmetic stuff or features not yet fully implemented. You may want to go over to the beta forum and review the current list of issues, to help decide whether that is something you want to take on. You download the Windows beta from the post in the Announcements thread. Beta forum: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=57

3. Download and use the Windows Beta to copy your project from v3 format over into a new Windows 1.9 version of your project. You’ll need to do it by copy/pasting document by document, but trying to bring over entire folders might work. I don’t know. The copy process may or may not be a big deal, depending on how many documents you have, research notes, and whatnot, but it will work.

Hope that helps. Perhaps someone will come along with some other, better ideas as well. :slight_smile:

Best,
Jim

Thank you so much for the information! (Sorry for the late response from my end).

I’ll take the risk with the buggy beta. :slight_smile: I’ll just make sure I make a dupe of my project just in case.

Enjoy the rest of your week. :slight_smile: