Saving as a Word doc question.

Hi all,
I have just started using Scrivener again and have spent a week reading up on it all, but I haven’t come across this:
If I want a copy of my Scrivener project in Word to fall back on or just to keep, would I lose the scriv file? Would it disappear from Scrivener? Sorry if it’s a daft question.

Suey1000

Hi,

No, not at all - you can either compile the whole Draft to a Word file (using File > Compile) or you can export individual documents (using File > Export). Both options create a new Word document without touching anything in Scrivener.

The main thing to remember is that each Scrivener project is saved on disk as a .scriv file, so you want to make sure you know where your .scriv files are (you choose where to save them when you create a project) and back them up and look after them just as you would with your .doc or .docx files.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith, that’s good to know. I have a dropbox account so I use that and I also back up to usb drive. While I am here, can I just ask something else? The project I am working on doesn’t need ‘Chapter 1’, ‘Chapter 2’ etc so if I replace the word chapter of each folder with the words I want the title of each section to be, would that be okay? Can I number them?
Example:

1. How to Blah blah
    or

One or 1

How to blah blah

I actually like the idea of the second section title. How would it work out?

Thanks
Suey

Have you tried going through the Interactive Tutorial (under Help, or in the templates selection window)? It’s just a project you can read through at your own pace; like all projects, it will open up to the document(s) you were working on when you closed it last, so it’s easy to go through it a bit at a time.

Specific to your questions, you should look at the expanded compile window’s “Formatting” section. Select the folder row, and then below that there will be an example window, showing how folders affect compiling, and a “Section Layout” button. Click that button, then delete everything out of the Prefix and/or Suffix (including the invisible newline characters that might be there). With the cursor in the Prefix box, go to Edit->Insert->Auto Numbering menu and pick they style of numbering you want. It shoul insert something like “<$t>” without the quotes; that will turn into a number in the style of your chosing that increments every time a new folder is encountered in the compile group. Add in a “.” and a space after that, giving you “1. How to blah” “2. How to blerg”… or “I. How to blah”, “II. How to blerg”, or “One. How to blah”, etc…

I name all of my documents, by the way, rather than manually numbering them in the binder, since I do occasionally insert new chapters into an outline, or delete & rearrange it as I brainstorm. I even name my scene documents. I don’t usually include titles in my final compiled output; they’re just there to give me a sense of what happens in the chapter or scene–“Chapter 17” is meaningless to me, whereas “Dinner and a Murder” instantly remind me of a pivotal event that (should) happen in that chapter or scene. Which is my long-winded way of saying that naming your chapters rather than numbering them in the binder is not only “okay” but very sensible, as is making Scrivener do the tedious job of inserting numbers (or “Chapter X” sub-titles).

That’s brilliant. Many thanks for your response. I have read so much in the last week, making notes as I go, but I must have missed this somewhere.
Thanks again
Suey

Outlining and writing in Scrivener is what I’d call “basic” usage; it can usually be done with very little knowledge of how Scrivener works. Even getting your work out of it into a single (Word) document is pretty easy, if you are okay with the compile presets provided by Scrivener. But when you start customizing how the output it formatted, you’re veering off into the tall grass. It’s not possible to write up all the variations on how to manipulate the output, so what you’ve seen has probably not covered anything like the above in depth.

While I don’t think that anyone should have to read the entire Scrivener manual to make good use of the software (the Interactive Tutorial is adequate to most people’s needs), if you want to learn how to adjust the compile settings to produce a specific look to your output, then delving into specific parts of the manual is a must. Take a look at section IV Final Phases, especially the “Compiling the Draft” sub-section. That’ll explain what each part of the compile window does.

And of course, you can ask specific “how do I do X?” questions here in the forums. :wink: