Saving project to SD Card - Windows Tablet

I’d been having trouble with lag so bought a faster micro SD card for my Windows 10 tablet. I’m getting problems which is probably to do with permissions or paths or something but I can’t figure it out.

My Windows 10 tablet has a main drive (C:) which doesn’t have a whole lot of space on it, so I need to keep my Scrivener project files on something else.

Due to lag problems with a very low spec card, I purchased a new 64GB Sandisk Ultra microSDXC card the (D:) drive and have run into problems. This is what I have found/tried so far.

Ensured that Scrivener can write to the C: drive OK.

I can save to the D: drive using Microsoft Word.
I can copy files to the D: drive using Windows Explorer.
I can run Syncback from my desktop and write to the tablet D: drive.
I can open a project in C: and ‘save as’ to the D:
Backups are turned off - this isn’t normal but to eliminate one area of failure.
I’ve been getting a problem when using a project on the D: drive wherein a Windows alert pops up saying that the file or directory is corrupt and unreadable. Sometimes it tells me to run chkdsk.
I’ve run a chkdsk /f on the D: drive
However the problem remains. As soon as I work on a project file located on the D: drive, I get this problem.
The other thing to note is that even if I start a completely new project, I can create it without a problem, but the minute it goes to save, this error pops up.

Oh, I’ve re-started my tablet numerous times and I’ve even re-installed Scrivener, but alas.

Any suggestions please.

Some additional testing:

I tried working on a project located on the C: drive and having Scrivener automatically back up to the D: card. That seems to work fine and a file was created.

I then extracted all files from the .zip and opened the project from the D:
Everything appears to be in order.
So I did some edits then clicked ‘save’.
Got an error:
“Could not create file
Could not create file at D:/Scrivener Backups/”

I’ve opened a project on C: and ‘save as’ to D: that works.
Done some edits on D: and clicked ‘save as’ to go to a new project name on D:
Got an error:
“Could not save project: Testing to new project name
Scrivener does not allow saving to a project’s.scriv folder
Please select another location.”

Are you using a Surface? IE: Surface 3 or any of the Pro versions? Also, are you having issues with other files, like word docs?
There are a few issues with using SD cards on Surfaces. I have a Pro 3 and had similar issues. For instance, I’d copy a movie to the drive, the next day windows would say it was corrupt. If you google SD cards on surface pro, you’ll find a lot of fixes out there.
One fix that seems to help is setting up a virtual disk on the SD card. I don’t know why this works, but it helped me when I moved my OneDrive folder to my SD card. … d9a?page=1
Sometimes mounting the folder on C drive also works.

Thanks for your reply.

It’s a Surface Pro 3.

No trouble with Word docs, as stated in my other posts, can do all sorts of copying and such, but can’t work on a project that’s stored on the card.

It appears that the problem has been solved.

Turns out that the SD Card was formatted as exFAT. It was suggested on another forum (Whirlpool) that I try reformatting it to NTFS (which is what my main C: drive is).

That has done the trick. I can now happily work on projects located on the SD Card and save them. Backups are done to my C: and also sync’d to an external drive.

So I’m happy and can go back to writing.

It would be nice to know why this should make a difference, but that’s probably one for the programmer(s).

You can think of Exfat is an upgrade to Fat 32. The main advantage for Exfat over Fat 32 is it can handle bigger partitions sizes and files over 4 gig, but that’s about it. NTFS is a more advanced file system that handles securities and the like a whole lot better. Here is an article that explains it a little better than I can. … -and-ntfs/ Surface Pros are well know for being funny when playing with SD cards. I know it took me a while to get mine running stably.

Thanks for that.

What’s even more confusing is that the original card I was using (the low speed one) was formatted as exFAT.