Saving script settings

I’m trying to understand how to transfer script settings from one project to another. So I’m looking at the ‘Manage’ drop-down in the ‘Script Settings’ dialogue box. I think I’ve got the basic idea, but…

1. What exactly is the difference between ‘Save to file…’ and ‘Save for use in other projects’?

2. When I ‘Save to File…’, the Windows save dialogue that pops up only displays one file, called scriptformat.xml, despite the fact that there are several other already-saved .xml files at this location with other names. Why is that? It’s really not helpful, because if I’m saving a file with a new name, then I can’t see what’s already there.

3. The ‘Save for use in other projects’ option appears to put a new entry in the Format/Scriptwriting menu. After playing around with this I now have a long list of new entries on this menu that I do not want. How do I get rid of them?

4. What does ‘Use current font and paragraph settings’? It sounds obvious, but what am I doing right now if I’m not using the current settings? - if you see what I mean :confused:

1. Saving to a file is good when you want to transfer script settings between computers, or just set aside a backup of them. Saving for use in other projects is a convenience function that automates saving them as a file and then importing them into your Scrivener settings. It creates a file and puts it in the proper place so that the Scriptwriting menu will list it as an available option.
  2. True, that does look like a problem with how the dialogue is set up. I’ll see if we have that on the list.
  3. You would need to navigate to the Scrivener settings folder where these are stored. This is in your user [b]AppData\Local\Scrivener\Scrivener\ScriptFormats[/b] folder. Only your custom script settings will be listed here, not the built-in defaults.
  4. ‘Current’ in this context refers to the formatting that the text editor is using, wherever the cursor is placed. This is going to be most useful when you have a script that you have imported into Scrivener from an RTF or other rich text file that does not have elements already assigned to it (and deviates from a standard scriptwriting format). You could just go through the imported file, putting the cursor in an exemplar line and then save its formatting attributes to scripting elements. Once this has been done, Scrivener should start recognising matching lines as being assigned to those elements.

Many thanks, all is clear.