Scapple Beta - New Users Please Read

Have two observations for applying note styles:

1. note style > apply note style > select red text > nothing happens to text, just the border disappeared
  2. note style > apply note style > select title text, if then switching note style for this note to a bubble note style the text reminds formatted bold

Fine App. If Scapple-Files could be imported/synced to/with Scrivener, it would be the perfect companion.

I’ve tried CmapTools on Windows, which is a similar approach, but I didn’t get it running on my Mac.

One might want to give the option of the coffee-stain as a background. A music app called Sibelius has just that… and it adds fun to the thing. :slight_smile:

Keith, thank you, this is wonderful. Quick, easy, simple, versatile, and lets me have multiple unrelated clusters. Exactly what I want in a mind-mapping program. The fact that it’s of the Scrivener lineage makes it all the better.

I know you’re looking for bugs over feature suggestions, but it would be handy to let the canvas zoom in and out with the Mouse wheel, with a modifier. Perhaps holding the CMD key would let the canvas zoom?

Also, is there a way to center type within the bubbles when you’re typing? It looks strange to see it left aligned.

I’ve also posted a zoom related bug into the forum.

-Lukas

I’ve enjoyed my little test. Good product. I foresee greatness in the near future.

This is neither a bug report, nor a feature request, but a question.
Is there a simple way to describe the way in which notes should be ordered to facilitate ordered opml export.
It seems that it respects Top to Bottom, and Left to Right. But it seems not to be too interested in links or arrows. Is that right?
Are there any guidelines to getting the opml export to have something like the order one intends?

Declan

Curious, I can’t reproduce this. The note styles affect everything - borders and so on - so the border will disappear. But are you saying that it didn’t even change the text to red for you?

I was going to say that this is normal, because the way things work is that if a note is all bold or all italics, then when you copy its style, the note you apply it to will also be made all bold or all italics (if a note has a mixture of bold, italics and regular, then the bold or italics won’t get copied into the style). But I agree that it is a bit odd that changing back to another style doesn’t get rid of the bold, so I have fixed this for the next update - it now works that if you switch to a style that, say, doesn’t have bold, but the selected note is currently all bold, then the bold will be removed (but if it has some bold and some regular, then the bold won’t be touched). That makes more sense, I think.

Well, you have a few options. If you download the latest beta of Scrivener, you can just drag notes from Scapple into Scrivener’s corkboard. Or, you can drag a Scapple map from the Finder into Scrivener’s binder and view it in the Quick Look preview in Scrivener. Or you can export as text or PDF from Scapple, and import that into Scrivener.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

Thanks!

Not quite. There’s no really logical way software can work out the intentional order of a freeform approach like this - it can even be difficult for a human. But the approach it takes is first to go from left to right, but then, when it finds a note with connections, it walks through those connections. With a map with many connections, this might not always be obvious in the results, though, because of how the connections can branch off, or point back to earlier notes. But if, as a test, you create, say, eight notes in random positions, and join four of them in a chain and the other four in a chain, you’ll see what I mean.

Open it in an outliner and start shuffling. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Very interesting - for me it fills in the gap between “mindmaps” and concept maps. Both have a lot of value when you are trying to quickly jot down ideas and map the relationships between them. The truth is - thoughts don’t automatically come in outline form! Well, at least not in my head.

Right away I can see this being a good tool for character relationships, scene progressions, and character motivation - the list goes on…

Adding to my tool kit for writing and yes - $10 is quite nice at this point - compared to some of the overburdened mindmapping programs that are out there…

Regards

Mike

… and you can use both together. Export a “scappling” as OPML to the desktop, then drop the file on a Curio 8 idea-space - you have a mind-map or list. 8)

Hey! If you take a look at the manual, you’ll see that I’m really trying to make “Scapple map” happen. :slight_smile:

,mapple,

I don’t see a reference to this, but if you Opt-drag an item, or a collection of them, only a short distance – fail to clear original position – you generate a duplicate. Can be wonderfully convenient if you want, say, several “Describe in detail” reminders to set here and there, but can be disconcerting if you’re not expecting it.

Nonetheless, lovely.

Phil

Great software! Just yesterday I was thinking I need software like a mind map but more freeform to describe a process and suddenly Scapple appears.

I don’t know if this is a bug or a feature request, but there seems to be no way to remove formating from a note. I ended up deleting some note styles before descovering that what I wanted to do wasn’t available.

Now I can’t reproduce it myself…

But I have another question. I write a note with two lines separated by return. When importing this note to Scrivener with drag-and-drop to corkboard view it produces a nice card with first line in title and both lines in synopsis (works great :slight_smile: ). But, when exporting the scapple as opml and importing the opml to Scrivener, both lines were placed in the title separated by " " and nothing appears in the synopsis. Is this just a side effect of opml export or a bug?

viki

This is in the Help manual but not the QuickStart guide - Option-drags do indeed create copies, as is standard for Option-drags in many Mac apps.

Thanks for the kind words!

All the best,
Keith

This is brilliant. I have tried a number of others apps - as well as the requirement for a single top level, they have been too distracting - too visual, if you know what I mean.

I know it is feature ready - just want to ask about possibility of “Distribute - Vertical/Horizontal” as you already have the “Align”.

Exported to opml 8 notes, 5 level 1, one of the level 1 had three level 2s but these did not appear as sublevels in when I opened the .opml doc in OmniOutliner, nor when I dragged into Curio 8. From a post in this thread I thought that was what was expected - that export attempted to follow connections.

Dragging into Scrivener freeform corkboard is absolutely brilliant and works well - gets rid of that middle export to some other format first. Also enables initial work before deciding on best “next step” for data (Scrivener, Curio, MindNode, OmniOutliner).

I’ll certainly be buying this.

Deb

Thanks!

Out of interest, what would this do?

Sorry, should have been more clear. Thee are never any groups in the OPML - it’s always flat. It only follows the connections in trying to determine the order. The thing is that there is no logical order in the connections - notes can be connected in a huge circle, or you could have ten notes all connected to each other, so there is no way of determining any structural hierarchy except in very simple situations. All of that is left to the after-export stage.

Great!

All the best,
Keith

So, I dump a whole lot of stuff, I identify some main points, I drag those main points into proximity and align them horizontally and vertically and drag them to top of canvas. The become visual headings. I drag other bits and pieces under or on top of them. When they get bigger I align those lists vertically.

That sort of thing.

Hey, but not a biggie! I just use it a lot in Curio to organise visually as I go along. Could probs do similar thing with note styles but aligning and distributing notes means less commitment and less to undo when change mind about relationships.

Deb

I really, really love this! It certainly fills a need in my workflow perfectly, and I love that it’s so quick and simple.

Having said that, and seeing what you said about features being finalised, I hesitate to add this, but is there any chance there could be an option to add a border around multiple notes (maybe just a dotted line)? I understand the idea of stacks I think, but I’d love to be able to retain the layout I’ve created but show that certain nodes are part of one concept, especially since the ability to add notes anywhere tempts me to make lots of separate ‘mini-maps’ I’d love to distinguish.

Hope that makes sense! And thank you for creating this brilliant little app as well as the amazing Scrivener!

Well, it’s a lot more portable than my living room wall full of sticky notes.

Yes, but it’s not nearly as big as your wall. It is very difficult to pace from one side of the laptop to the other. Unless, of course, you have bound feet but that’s probably another story.

Dave