Scapple Beta - New Users Please Read

No worries. I’m an asshole https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o30wacwdoc.

Yeah, from that message, it’s almost like the nib somehow wasn’t in the zip file, but that’s just crazy talk! :stuck_out_tongue: I’m pretty positive I already tried re-downloading. What I will try next is copying the file from the iMac that is working to the MBP that isn’t. If that doesn’t work, then it’s likely some kind of configuration issue on my end, agreed?

That teh suck. I’d demand not only a new rMBP, but I’d demand a refund for getting a lemon.

No one–not even The Bitten Fruit™–is above saving a dime when they can.

No video? :frowning:

That didn’t work either. Why would cause a nib to fail to load?

Two very basic functions that would be great…

1. Keyboard movement of blocks (for fine tuning alignment etc)
  2. Shift lock when moving blocks (again for alignment)

This is already something I would buy. Is there eventually going to be some sort of tie into scrivener?

Two more requests.

1. Recognize links and make them clickable
  2. Center type in bubble option

Have been a big user of Mind Mapping software. I like Scapple because it seems to be free from a lot of conventions. Would like to see a Duplicate command, so that you can easily copy a note. :smiley:

Very weird. Okay, just to check, try reinstalling it but this time move your existing copy of Scapple to the Trash and delete it before installing the other version rather than just overwriting the old version. If the inspector still won’t load, please double-check that the console message you are receiving is still the same, and then do the following:

1. Ctrl-click on Scapple.app in the Finder and select “Show Contents” from the contextual menu.

2. Inside the Scapple bundle, drill down into Contents/Resources/ and look in en.lproj - is Inspector.nib in there?

Hmm, in the process of checking this, I notice that Inspector.nib is stored in en.lproj while other .nib files are inside English.lproj. That is a little weird, and I wonder if that is causing the problem. I’m going to look at that now…

All the best,
Keith

That’s already easy. Either hit Copy and then Paste, or just Option-drag the notes you want to copy.

All the best,
Keith

(1) is done for the next beta; I’m not sure how (2) would be any different from (1); (3) would be difficult because the text is just static when it’s not edited, so it would be very difficult to make ranges of it clickable; I’m thinking about (4) but I’m not sure - adding alignment is moving a bit further into formatting territory than I originally wanted.

You can already drag notes into Scrivener’s freeform corkboard (if you download the latest Scrivener beta), but dragging between will get easier still in the future.

All the best,
Keith

hate to be the first one to ask this, especially at such an early stage…but have you had any thoughts about an eventual iphone/ipad companion app?

Depressingly, you’re not the first. :slight_smile: No, there are no plans for anything like this at this time - it’s waaaaaaaay too early; it’s not even out of beta on the Mac, yet! If Jen is interested in putting an iPad version of Scapple together after she’s finished Scrivener, that would be great, but there’s no way we are going to look at any iOS software before Scrivener is finished.

KB,

You’ve mentioned a couple of times already the next beta and I’ve been drooling over the improvements you’ve mentioned… so when do you plan to allow us to play with it? Will it include the buy button already :wink:?

It will probably be a few days yet - lots to do! And the buy button won’t be in there until after it’s out of beta. :slight_smile:

Going further down the rabbit hole, what’s the word on Scrivener expanding to iOS? ETA? Minimum OS version required?

I answered the same questions only two posts above… It’s not even out of beta for the Mac yet! (And I’m not even an iPad user.) Please no questions about other platforms yet… :slight_smile:

In the quick kudos dept:

Had to whip up 3 complex diagrams on very short notice for a big meeting today. Scapple saved the day. While no doubt ill-advised to lunge at beta software for such a mission, it was perfect because it was quick, intuitive, and not loaded up with bells and whistles. Looking forward to supporting this work— $10 is probably too low.

Thanks KB et al. Great work.

I asked about the ETA of Scrivener, not Scapple. :slight_smile:

But you raise a good point: I need to know when you’re going to port Scapple to the TRS-80. My business can’t afford to upgrade computers, but this app will save us so much time and money. Please, please, please add this feature. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is why I shouldn’t answer questions at the end of a long day - now it’s my turn to play the Dennis Leary video. :slight_smile: The ETA for Scrivener on iOS is early next year now; it’s taken longer than we thought. Actually, I’m eagerly awaiting an early build from our developer for the end of this week, and then I have a fun two weeks ahead of me writing the RTF writing/reading code for the iOS version…

Great! Thanks!

Thanks for the update on Scrivener.

Yannow, we’re beginning to sound like two peas in a pod. Perhaps we should do a podcast. We already have a theme song for the show. 8)

Great work!! I download Scapple Beta and play for a while. Here is my humble feedback. An important feature missing is the ability to create a single line not connected to anything. Why? I create a complex conceptual map and wanted a division between the top and bottom portion of the conceptual map with a line across. The way around, I had to add two unnecessary boxes and connected across to divide the top and bottom. Please consider to include the ability of creating lines with no connection to anything.

Another suggestion to consider: the possibility to open Scapple inside Scrivener. Food for thought. Thanks for the Beta. I like what I see and will definitely buy a copy when is ready. Your software rocks.
Mr.Wolf