Scapple - New Beta Available (Updated 19/03/13)

Just heard about Scapple (from James Fallows) and like what I see.

The first thing I notice is that Align really should have two more options, Center Vertically and Center Horizonally.

The other thing I would really like is the ability to indent within a note. I make my notes in indented form, constantly indenting and outdenting as I nest things. A Tab does not suffice because some text requires more than one line.

Thanks, Bob

Just discovered the way the zoom works. I assumed it would allow one to zoom out and see a very large surface, but there seems to be no scrolling. Scapple would be much improved by being able to zoom out to see an overview of a large diagram and then zoom into a specific area and then scroll around it.

-Bob

Never mind. I see you just have to move stuff away from the origin to expand the surface.

-Bob

If you hit “z”, you see the entire surface. When you let go of the “z” key, it zooms back in to the location of your mouse - making navigating large maps very easy (this is covered in the QuickStart guide).

Indents aren’t planned, I’m afraid, as things are staying simple.

These have already been added for the next beta.

Thanks for trying!

All the best,
Keith

I just wanted to pick up on this user’s request for a ‘format painter’. You’ve partly answered it here, by pointing out that it’s possible through [Format > Note Style > Apply note style], but don’t forget you’re really asking for a lot of careful horizontal mouse work there (see screengrab).

I tend to create a bunch of notes, and I’m not always sure which note style I want to use until I see them all on screen, and I can divide them up in my mind.

I could go with the and , but not until I’ve got some notes of varying styles on the page already.

What I really crave is an intuitive floating palette of note-styles so I can just select a bunch of notes and click once to give them all the same style.

I honestly found it a significant block on my thought processes at a time when I just wanted to be hammering out those notes.

Loving the software though – keep on going!

Thanks

But you don’t need to use the Format menu - just ctrl-click on the selected notes and select “Apply Note Style” from the contextual menu - much faster and easier than a floating palette.

I hear you: that would solve the problem nicely.

As a little comeback: simply including the ‘styles’ by name in the Inspector would provide a way for people to do what I suggested if they’re more visually motivated.

Cheers, and thanks for the reply.

I think I explained this upthread, but styles wouldn’t work in the inspector because they are not really “styles” but just format painting - if you select a note, Scapple has no idea of any note style applied to it, it only knows that it is this or that colour and has this or that border and so on. So, styles will remain in the menus and out of the inspector. :slight_smile: Glad the ctrl-click thing helped, though!
All the best,
Keith

Scapple 0.9.0.2 beta build 2786 uploaded.

Scapple 0.9.0.3 beta build 3427 uploaded, with extended expiry date of 30th April 2013.

Thanks for your great work! Love the new icon :slight_smile:

Thanks! Glad you like the icon - icons never please everybody, but I really like it. Kudos to Janik Baumgartner, our icon designer, for that one.

All the best,
Keith

Love the new look.

I had created new note styles in the previous version and overwritten all of the supplied notes. After I downloaded the new beta I used the “Import Note” feature to import the notes from the most recent time I’d worked with Scapple. The note names imported, but the characteristics (color, shape, border, etc.) did not. All of the notes now have the correct name, but all of them are in the default configuration.

Fortunately I have a hard copy of what the notes are to look like, but it means reprogramming the notes all over again.

Was it you who sent the exception report? If so, I have already contacted you asking for the problematic file. I’m not entirely sure I follow, though, given that the note styles are part of the document, so nothing should have changed there. Perhaps you could give more thorough details?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Sorry Keith, I must be going ga-ga in my old age :cry:

Where do I find the link to the new beta? I can only see links to the old version.

Regards,

GI

The link in the first post of this thread is for the latest version; you should see the date 260213 at the end of the file name.

Thank you!

And yes, a very appropriate icon. Well done.

GI :smiley:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I really like the new beta. The magnetic bounding shape is very well conceived, and the way it can be created around selected notes is fantastic. I love how easy it is to include or extract notes from a group, and how you can connect groups of notes.

I see Scapple continuing to grow, without becoming less clear than it was at the very beginning.

Paolo

Wow. Just downloaded Scrapple this morning and within a few hours of playing with it, I could use it! Woo hoo!

This instruction

Holding both Option and Command down while double-clicking to create a new note when there is a selection now creates a note with a two-way arrow connection; holding down Shift and Command creates a note pointing back towards the selected note.

works opposite for me. i.e. Shift and Command gives two-way arrow, Option and Command gives arrow pointing back.

Thank you. Mind-mapping programs intimidated and confused me, this is exactly what I need.