Scene Content Disappearing

*Disclaimer - I am BRAND NEW to Scrivener for Windows and this is my FIRST POST in this forum.

I have been trialing Scrivener 1.9.15 for several days now and am using it for a specific, historical project. This involves transcribing, as accurately as possible, a fifty-four page, hand written autobiography from 1865. I have scanned all of the original pages to JPG files that average 2.5 Mb, each. In order to conveniently do the transcribing I set up a Project with a Folder in the Draft area of the Binder. Within this Folder I have created a Series of Scenes to work with, starting with Page 1 Image, then Page 1 Text, then Page 2 Image, and Page 2 Text, etc. This permits me to use the horizontal split pane mode of the Editor, and by closing the Inspector and the Binder I can zoom the window with the scanned image to 400-600% to accurately read the hand writing in the upper window while I transcribe to text in the lower window. This has been a very helpful feature in this endeavor.

Sadly, I have been experiencing a problem with page images ‘disappearing’ from their Scenes. I don’t know if I have hit some form of limit with the software, or if this is a bug that the developers should know about as they wrap up 3.0.

I would best describe the issue as something that develops with a session using the software. On initial opening of the Project, all Pages, or Scenes, are listed and their content is indicated by the simulated text on the Scene icons for all 108 of them. Over the course of a work session, Scenes with page images begin to lose their content. The Scene icons show a blank page and the image is ‘gone’ when the Scene is selected. It is usually those that are closer to the end of the Project, i.e., as I write this, Image Page 24 and Image Pages 29–54 are missing. Of course, they are not really missing, because if I close and reopen the Project, they are all there, again!

Have I reached a known limitation or am I expecting too much from this software?

Best,
Paul Harris

Screen Shot

Where is the project saved? Are you using OneDrive or any other service that claims to “optimize” local storage space?

Katherine

At this time the Project is saved in the standard Documents Folder, but eventually I intend to use Dropbox. I should also mention that I am using Windows 10 64 bit and have 16 G of memory installed.

I’m asking because having files disappear and come back is the behavior I would expect to see if the “missing” files were being offloaded to remote storage – either a removable drive or a “cloud” service – and then retrieved.

This is more likely to be something to do with your system software than a Scrivener issue: Scrivener only opens the files you’re currently working on, so everything else should just quietly sit there on the disk until you get to it.

Katherine

Katherine,

I have observed behavior that causes this to happen. If I open the Project and select an individual Document to view in the Editor, all the sibling documents are present and seem to remain present as long as I continue to work in this view. It is only when I select the parent Folder and select Cork Board view that some of the Document file images disappear.

Paul

Can you make it happen repeatably in a newly opened project?

Also, have you looked at the Windows Scrivener 3 beta at all? Even if you don’t want to switch to the beta as your primary environment, testing for this problem would be very helpful.

Katherine

Katherine,

Will hit both in the morning and reply with results.

'Night

Paul

Katherine,

I made a copy of the Project and opened it in Beta 26, where the problem does not appear to exist.

Paul

Additionally, I created a new Project and created Documents under the Draft folder. Then I proceeded to add the same image files to every other Document. When I reached the twenty-second image file it would not load into the Document. Closing and reopening the Project allowed me to continue entering images. I was not seeing the dropped images until I got just over 30 image documents, 60 documents in all, and then selecting Draft and Cork Board caused several images to disappear. Specifically, numbers 3, 6, 7, 10, 13, 14, 17, 20, 21, Closing and reopening again, then Draft, Cork Board had a different result. Numbers 25–32 were dropped.

At this point, I think the Beta is more stable than 1.9.15!

Best,

Paul