Scr3: Context-Menu for emptying trash is missing

Hej,
am using the new version and enjoying it so far. One small glitch that I found:

In the context-menu of the trash there isn’t a selection for emptying it anymore. I have to use the project-menu to do it there.

Just in case you didn’t now

Greetings
JC

Been removed by design:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-3-omissions/38289/2

I see. Seems a little bit odd, though, because it’s just a basic function. After all it’s really the only thing I want to do with the trash. But okay…

JC

Seems to be a question of space and priorities. I’d prefer to have it available as a right-click item, but it is what it is.

Just a +1 here. I also expected it to be in the context menu and it took some time to find the menu entry.

It was moved to make way for more commonly-used icons. Are you really constantly emptying the Trash? That seems to be the sort of thing you’d be doing only every so often compared to everything else in that menu. It’s still readily available in the Project menu, of course.

Anyway, very definitely not a bug.

All the best,
Keith

Right, it’s not a bug. But the point is that the context-menu in general should show the actions that are relevant to the stuff you want to do. Isn’t that what context-menus are there for? Trash - emptying. Simple. Don’t need the other stuff. No need to search in the menubar… Of course, it’s really nothing major, just an oddity in my view.

More importantly: Congratulations to the new release! It’s great and working just fine for me.

All the best,
JC

Not bothered about Empty Trash not being there particularly.

The ones I use most in the binder are: Section Types / Statuses / Labels; Convert to Folder; Change icon and that’s about it.

If I had a choice (and I’m quite happy that I don’t) I’d add Convert to default Formatting into the menu as you can only use this command when you’ve selected binder items (which even as a confirmed mouse-hater I usually do with the mouse) the natural next step is to right click on the selection. Catches me every time.

BTW: just playing with it now, I’ve just noticed the Show as Binder Separator item. I’ve been beta testing for nearly a year and never noticed that before. Oops.

Indeed, the point is that a contextual menu should show commands that are commonly used for most users. They can’t show everything. “Empty Trash” is in the Project menu. Who empties their Trash ten time a day? :slight_smile:

But shouldn’t the contents of that menu change depending on the context? If I right-click on the Trash, “Empty Trash” is one of the commands I would expect to see at least there in that context.

Perhaps I misunderstand how “contextual” is interpreted, or at the very least interpret it differently than you do.

I wish there were an emoji for hand-raising. That would be me. :blush: It’s fiddly behavior I indulge in when I’m having problems with story-- tidy the binder in any way possible. Surely that will improve things! I found this thread because I was trying to figure out what happened to my most used command!

As a workaround, I assigned an OSX keyboard shortcut to Empty Trash. All is well.

Me too. Paranoia about putting unused files into my iOS devices strikes deep. :blush:

Every title in the Binder has the same context.

Katherine

I would consider this a feature; the trash is your last-ditch effort to recover files that you may have accidentally deleted. By keeping the trash “folder” collapsed, so that you don’t see its contents, you should be able to maintain a tidy looking binder while still retaining a space that can be searched when a binder entry goes missing. And by making the emptying of the trash less accessible, you’re safeguarding your work, and therefore, your time should you need to recover something.

If you habitually clear it out, then you’re in danger of obliterating the only copy of something vitally important, and have made recovering of that file (or folder + many files) all the more difficult for yourself (project backups are then your ONLY recourse). Think of it as that physical wastepaper basket where crumpled typewriter pages would get tossed when an author’s muse wasn’t cooperating; they wouldn’t haul it out to the recycle bin every time it has two whole pages of paper in it, would they? Be more like that old-fashioned writer–think of the trash as a recovering bin if that helps. Rename it* if that helps; “recovery bin”, “manual un-do stack”, “the oopsie basket”.

Edit: Isn’t there a toolbar icon for emptying the trash, that you can add? If it’s really important for you to immediately and irrevocably delete a file/folder from the current copy of your project, then that should be an option…

[size=85]* Not being at my Mac, I’m not sure if the Trash can be renamed; but since Draft and Research can be… I assume it’s possible.[/size]

Currently, yes, because Scrivener currently defines it that way. Context is defined by the program. The Trash folder is different than any other entry in the Binder. The code can easily recognize “hey, the selected folder is the Trash folder, so don’t offer the Section Type, Label, or Status options but add the Empty Trash option” because it has been decided in code that the context is “this is a special folder, Trash,” and acts accordingly to decide that the rest of these actions don’t actually make a ton of sense applying to this folder.

Right now, you’re straddling that fine line of dictating a writer’s workflow, rather than enabling a writer’s workflow. By the same logic, we can dictate font size, tab stops, frequency and number of backups, and a whole host of other features. In fact, why don’t we all just quit writing with software and go back to that typewriter and physical bin?

Some writers like to play with drafts and versions during a session. By the end of the session, the winners have been chosen and the remnants purged. They may purge those drafts often as they go. This is not a wrong way to work. It is not a

It can. Have accidentally done so.

Joy in S3.0.1…

Hej Keith,

just saw that you included a new trash-menu in the update to SCR 3.0.1. Great, thank you!

And keep up with your good work, greetings
JC

Yep, when removing it, I had no idea that so many people like accessing that via the context menu (I always use the Project menu for it myself, because that means I don’t even have to select the Trash folder after I’ve moved something to it). So I added it back for all those who do. :slight_smile:

You are, always, a mensch. Thank you for writing a life-changing program, and maintaining it with so much generosity and respect. I am grateful and impressed. :slight_smile: