Screenplay - Merge+Select With Subdocuments?

Before I file a feature request, I want to make sure this isn’t a bug:

I have a parent folder in the Binder, containing many subfolders, each holding several Screenplay documents. I want to combine them all into one Screenplay document.

When I merge the contents using Select>Select With Subdocuments and Merge,

the result is not a merged Screenplay document. It’s an empty folder with the text hidden inside, and in plain text, not in Screenplay Mode.

2021-10-21_13-02-07

Is this intended behavior? I hope it’s a bug, so it can get fixed soon.

Until someone knowledgeable comes by…

What happens when you apply Convert to Document to the resulting folder? And what happens when you then turn Scriptwriting mode back on for that document? Does the end state correspond to what you expected would happen at the get-go?

Reason I ask is that since folders and docs are the same sort of underlying object, I am thinking Scriv is just rendering the result in the same file-style as the first item in your selection: a folder. Maybe a kind of hands-off policy about presuming what you want. Not sure off-hand why the result wouldn’t be in scriptwriting mode though.

Folders can be set to scriptwriting mode, it just doesn’t change the icon. When you merge items, the item at the top of the list is the one that determines the mode for the rest, so if the folder at the top isn’t in script mode at the time of the merge, the result won’t be either.

As for whether it is easier to think about that before merging or toggling it after is up to you, but it’s so easy to toggle I think it would usually be easiest to toggle as needed and when noticed.

Thanks for letting me know. Out of curiosity, is there a use case for merging all those documents into an empty folder? I couldn’t figure a situation where it would come in handy.

There isn’t a specific use case in mind, but I can think of a few ideas off of the top of my head.

• Maybe when you start a new section of a work you build out a bunch of notes for it in a folder, in a scattered way. When you’ve got a good idea for where you want to go with it, you merge them all into the folder so they end up as text within it, and then start writing the visible material as subdocuments. Since folders by default don’t export content, it’s a useful place to stash notes, and thus works in a very complementary fashion with that way of working.
  • And for those that do use containers to output text (I most often do, though I use empty file containers to start with rather than folders), it’s a good way to retroactively consider something you wrote as subsidiary, as introductory to the section, instead. I could have an “introduction” item at the top of the subdocument stack with a special separate Section Type, but why not just fold the two concepts together into a single item?

Thanks for that. Scrivener is such a flexible tool, there are many creative ways to use it.