Screenwriting mode suggestion (or bug?)

A pretty basic question here. I’ve imported a 120 page script into Scrivener Screenplay (it came from Celtx, via a text file). The elements at the bottom of the screen finally have starting showing up, though it took two reboots before they did. But I wonder, are there are shortcuts (of the Ctrl-Shft-1 variety, things that don’t require squirreling around with the mouse) to facilitate attaching the elements to each of these lines? I surely hope so…

Hi,

Yes, opt-cmd-1, opt-cmd-2 etc do this (see the Format > Scriptwriting > Change Element To menu for the shortcuts).

How did you import the script? The best way for Celtx is via File > Import > Plain Text Formatted Screenplay.

All the best,
Keith

I appreciate your quick reply. I’m using linux, so there’s no “opt-cmd” button(s); but the shortcuts can obviously be worked out.

I imported the script from Celtx, using the unformatted output. Then, of course, I had to tag everything. That’s been today’s rather endless task.

A far more serious issue, however, is something I just discovered an hour ago, when I compiled the script for the first time. The application is breaking important script elements in the wrong places. I’ve got character names floating at the bottom of pages, with their dialog starting at the top of the next page; and parentheticals doing the same thing, just stuck down there, unconnected to dialog. Also new scenes, in some cases, begin at the bottom of a page with with only the scene identifier.

Obviously something’s set incorrectly, but I can’t seem to locate it.

Thanks again.

Ah, right, sorry, this is the Mac area of the forum and I only code the Mac version, so this is best asked over in the Windows area (the Linux version is the same as the Windows version, from the same code base, whereas the Mac version is a separate entity in terms of code and is also somewhat ahead of the other versions having come out first and having been on sale for over four years already). The Mac version makes importing plain text scripts from Celtx straightforward using a new import feature added in version 2.0; this will be coming to the Windows/Linux version in the future, but not for a while (probably not until the Windows/Linux version 2.0), because the Windows/Linux versions still have a lot more catching up to do (the Mac version having had a four-year head-start).

If you like, I can split this top and move your posts from this thread over into the Windows forum for you.

All the best,
Keith

Anyone? Is there an easy way to solve this?..

I’m afraid there’s not an easy fix. This is something that needs to be done in the code; there’s no option for “keep with next” yet that you can set at the user level. I’ve ensured this is on Lee’s list, but I don’t know how soon this is going to be able to get dealt with.

Regarding the shortcuts for the differnet elements, when you’re in scriptwriting mode you can use Ctrl+\ to call up the elements menu and then use the letter shortcuts there (which you can change in Format>Scriptwriting>Script Settings if you wish) to change the element.

Kent, I think you can probably work around for now by using Edit>Insert>Page Break as appropriate.

This won’t be automatic, and you’ll have to move what’s downstream if you insert material, but it seems the quickest way of getting there until Keep With Next or equivalent is present.

Actually for official format script work, Scrivener should keep the block together automatically, based on the type of heading.

Would think both of these things are pretty important, should get a heist on to-do list.

I have just been playing with a copy of Final Draft to see what it does for a friend. It has some of Scrivener’s abilities; not by any means a large amount. It is the 'official screenwriting software as far as I know. 5x as expensive, and without all those many features Scrivener has, especially for pulling together your material. I would imagine using Scrivener to write, and then Final Draft to pull the result in to highly official form, but I am not any expert on what screenwriters actually tend to do.

Perhaps interesting to Scrivener would be Final Draft’s approach to really getting things right for a screenplay. You can use highly similar key combinations to apply element knowledge and formatting to blocks of text, getting the general look.

However, for the strict screenplay result, Final Draft uses a separate ability. This is to have it go through your screenplay one block element at a time, and offer to completely correct its formatting, saying and having individual checkboxes for what it will do. This is a highly effective process, in my trial of it – a real intelligent rules engine.

The rest of Final Draft is surprisingly, well, drafty. It doesn’t feel very precise. It’s that final pass with the rule engine that makes it worth its price.

Maybe this view can be suggestive of something you could do on the course of availability of software features, and getting your screenplay done. Take advantage of Scrivener’s pull-together, flexibility, and seemingly tighter writing abilities – and then have a run through the rule engine of Final Draft, for a Final Draft??

Of course the block types for formatting would have to be entered again, but then that can be easy wth Final Draft. Pay the $250 at that time.

You can download a fully able version of Final Draft, just limited I think to 10 pages, at any time. Could experiment, on a suitably small segment so it’s not much work. Am sure there would be interest in what you find here, and also it could help guide future dimension of Scrivener’s inbuilt screenwriting.

Thoughts, anyway.

Regards,
Clive