Script setting bug?

I altered the Script settings the other day and added a “Sequence” Element and put it in position 2 in the list (between “Scene heading” and “Action”). This caused the “links” for “On return” and tabbing behavior to shift one step for all items in the list.

To reproduce:

1. Create a new “Screenplay” project.
  2. Open the “Script setting” dialog.
  3. Notice the settings for Tab/Return on the items. They are per default:
Element                On return:, Go to: (tab on empty line), Go to: (tab after type)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scene heading       Action, Action
Action                  Action, Character, Action
Character             Dialog, Transition, Parenthetical
Parenthetical        Dialog, Dialog, Dialog
Dialog                  Action, Parenthetical, Parenthetical
Transition             Scene heading, Scene heading, Scene heading
Shot                     Action, Shot, Shot
  1. Now create a new element (“Test”) and drag it up the list (to position #2 for instance).
  2. Notice the new settings on all the elements:
Element                On return:, Go to: (tab on empty line), Go to: (tab after type)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scene heading       Test, Test
Test                     Scene heading, Scene heading, Scene heading
Action                  Test, Action, Test
Character             Parenthetical, Dialog, Character
Parenthetical        Parenthetical, Parenthetical, Parenthetical
Dialog                  Test, Character, Character
Transition             Scene heading, Scene heading, Scene heading
Shot                     Test, Transition, Transition

(I guess the element settings store index positions that are not updated correctly when I slide a new element in position or something like that… They’re all one off, except the ref to Scene heading that did not move…)

Cheers,

M

Hi, yes, your assumption is correct that these settings save the position in the list - the index - rather than anything more meaningful, which means you will get the effect you describe if you move the elements around. Obviously this isn’t ideal, so I’ve added it to the list to improve, hopefully for 2.0, but if not then certainly for 2.1.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

All the best,
Keith