Scriptwriting Compile problem (control-Return)

I’m using version 2.0.2 for writing stage plays and I’m having problems with new paragraphs within a scriptwriting element. For a character & dialogue element I might need multiple paragraphs – for long multi-paragraphed dialog, lines of poetry or song lyrics.

Following the manual, I’m using control-Return for this. When I compile to a PDF, the output looks more or less okay, but when I compile to RTF to open in NeoOffice, the formatting gets screwed up. In NeoOffice, the lines run together into one paragraph, the first character of subsequent paragraphs is missing, and blank lines are replaced with "8232 ". In TextEdit, the RTF file looks better, but the missing first character of paragraphs still occurs.

What am I doing wrong?

The manual is wrong if it recommends doing this for screenwriting - could you please quote the page number (so that I can have Ioa fix it if necessary)?

You should just hit a regular return and then hit tab in the case of Character & Dialogue in UK stage play format.

On page 204, it says:

“Upon hitting enter and typing, the paragraph formatting will be changed to that of the
next set element (although hitting ^Enter allows you to create a new paragraph without
changing the current element).”

Is there a difference in this case between the Enter key and the Return key?

That works fine for a character’s multiple paragraph speech, but not so well for song lyrics or poetry because it results in blank lines between each line.

For the moment, I’m using a workaround, formatting the song lyrics as text and aligning it beneath the character’s lines that lead into the song.

This play only has one song, so that’s okay. For a musical, I should switch to a version of the US format – that would make such workarounds more practical.

(I’ve been using a variant of the UK format until now, only because that’s how I was taught.)

That works fine for a character’s multiple paragraph speech, but not so well for song lyrics or poetry because it results in blank lines between each line.
[/quote]
I’m not sure I understand this - why not just change the paragraph spacing to something more suitable?

All the best,
Keith

Got it; looks like there was some editing confusion with an older keystroke that did a special action here, but did not carry over in the new version (or did, with a new shortcut), and so I changed it to Ctrl-Return which appears to do this, but as has been noted, does so incorrectly. We’ll get this sorted out an fixed.