scriptwriting paragraph change also changes line spacing

When I’m using Scrivener in Scriptwriting mode, I’m running into an odd thing when changing script settings for the Dialogue element. If I go to Format, Scriptwriting, Script Settings, and make a change to paragraph indentation of the Dialogue element, Scrivener automatically changes the spacing from 1x to 1x 12.0/12.0. This causes an unwanted extra line after each Character name that I insert using autocomplete. The solution is to go back and manually change the spacing for the Dialogue element to just plain 1x, but that automatic change in spacing should not be happening.

In trying to recreate this, I find that sometimes the automatic spacing change happens to the Character element instead of Dialogue. It’s kind of confusing. Either way, it shouldn’t be happening.

On the plus side, I was able to export to Final Draft pretty well, just by saving as an RTF file, and then having Final Draft figure out what’s what. I’ll probably use Final Draft for the ultimate formatting (depending on the final features of Scrivener), but I really am drawn to the cool drafting/research features of Scrivener (which I’ve already used in writing a novel).

I’ll double check this in a bit when I get on a Windows computer, but this might be tied to a general formatting issue which was happening outside of script mode as well where changing some certain settings across multiple paragraphs also affected some other ruler settings. If that’s the case, the bug has likely already been fixed for the next release and in the NaNoWriMo trial. I’ll report back after I’ve had a chance to look into it.

Using Final Draft or a similar dedicated scriptwriting software for your final formatting is pretty much the intent at this stage, as that will be able to provide you some tailored script formatting features that Scrivener just doesn’t have the ability to offer. In a 1.x update we’ll be adding an option for compiling to the FDX format as well.

Thanks, Jennifer. One of the nice things about using Scrivener for the main creation of a script is that it might make it easier to export to either Word or Final Draft. Sometimes, I need scripts in Word format, and going from Final Draft to Word isn’t quite as smooth as I’d like. (Final Draft has lots of other limitations, too, that I find annoying.)