Scriv 1 to 3 compile issues (kerning and spacing)

phew… ok, talk about beyond frustrating. I am having an issue with compiling since I upgraded to scrivener 3. I have a 60k+ word manuscript that I wrote in Scriv 1, and loved working in the program. A fellow author recently was talking about how they now use the Dark Theme and I wanted to check that out… this is when I realized I wasn’t even using the latest version of Scrivener. So I upgraded from my version 1 to 3 ( which turned out to be completely free btw, thanks L&L ) and converted the file over into the newest version.

I’ve been doing revising for a week or so and now am ready to send the new revision out to my beta readers, I go to compile it yesterday into .PDF and .docx for them and ran into a slew of issues. The new compiler… is a major headache imo and so far, I have great disdain for it.

I have supplied screen shots showing the issues. When I compile to .PDF (using the default Manuscript (times) setting ) you can see that the line spacing is not 2.0x but looks to be 1.5x , and the kerning is absolutely terrible… making it super difficult to read. When I compile to .docx the kerning issue looks to be resolved but the line spacing still is not 2.0x.
these issues make it impossible for me to send industry standard manuscript files to my beta reader and out to agents when I query, which is obviously a MAJOR issue.
when I compile in scrivener 1 I do not have these problems at all.
so please tell me what the hell I’m doing wrong? how to fix, ect… any feedback and help would be much appreciated.

So far, it seems like Scriv 1 was the far superior and intuitive version, so I may need to simple keep using the much older software.

attached I have also supplied a screenshot of the GOOD compiled .pdf that I get when I compile using Scriv 1, you can see how drastic the differences are.

thank you very much for any and all help in resolving this.

unfortunately I cannot even upload the screenshots, as my forum account is new…

Yes, the new compiler is different from the older version. The greatest improvement is the fact that you can now Compile without being confined to the Binder structure of your Project. That’s why a document should have a Section Type, which should be coupled with a Section Layout to produce the formatting in the output document.

So, for your Body text, find the used Section Type in its metadata, and adjust the Section Layout that’s Assigned to it.

To do that, you’ll have to Copy and Edit the Default Compile Format in the left column of the Compile Overview window. Then Double-click that Format so the Compile Format Designer window appears. (Check the Window’s title).

In the Section Layouts tab, select the Section Layout used by your Body text and change the Line-Height in the Toolbar of the Formatting editor on the bottom half of the screen. This is the right-most option on the Toolbar, and it may have fallen off the Toolbar if your screen is not wide enough. Set it to 2.0 or twice the font-size of your Body text.

Save all, and Compile a small test document, containing Body text, by selecting it in the Binder and setting the Compile filter above the right-hand side column of the Compile Overview window to Binder selection. Don’t forget to set in back, when testing is done.

The 3.1.5.1 version of Scrivener also contains a myriad of other improvements since the 1.9 version. Lots of those, I couldn’t do without anymore. Have patience, and give the new version a chance.

Hope this Helps

1 Like

You might find this useful to look at.

Scrivener 3: A Guide for Scrivener 1 Users | Literature and Latte

Phil

1 Like

all this information has helped a lot. Thank you very much, both of you.

actually, so I have figured out how to select the different section layouts and make sure the desired font and spacing is being forced. However when I compile to PDF I still get major kerning issues and it looks terrible. the kerning does not show up in compiled .docx however.

would be great if I could attach a screenshot…