Scrivener 1.0.2 crashes on exit

Hi everyone,

As written in the title, Scrivener seems to crash 50% of the time when I close the app.

My OS is Windows 7 32 bits.

Here is the error code (in french, sorry) :

Nom d’événement de problème: APPCRASH Nom de l’application: Scrivener.exe Version de l’application: 0.0.0.0 Horodatage de l’application: 4ebcaa8a Nom du module par défaut: QtCore4.dll Version du module par défaut: 4.7.4.0 Horodateur du module par défaut: 4eb772d4 Code de l’exception: c0000005 Décalage de l’exception: 000f0960 Version du système: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3 Identificateur de paramètres régionaux: 2060 Information supplémentaire n° 1: 0a9e Information supplémentaire n° 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789 Information supplémentaire n° 3: 0a9e Information supplémentaire n° 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Hi, me again, I tested further and tried to found a way to cause a crash that could be reproduced on app exit.

Well, at least one sure way is to open Scrivener, do nothing but check for an update, then quit.

Crash.

Can you reproduce it, or is it me ?

I can reproduce this using 1.0.2. I get a scrivener.exe has stopped working message.

Error log:

• System

• Provider

[ Name] Application Error

• EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

• TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-11-12T18:19:25.000Z

EventRecordID 156853

Channel Application

Computer Stacey-PC

Security

• EventData

Scrivener.exe
    4ebcaa8a
    QtCore4.dll
    4eb772d4
    c0000005
    000f0960
    01cca1672beca35d

For what ever it is worth, I am experiencing the same crash upon exit but not every time. I hadn’t noticed any pattern but will keep watching as they happen. Scrivener had always been 100% trouble free for me (through all of the betas) so this is the first time it has given me any problem.

No problems with the file or workings while it’s open, just the error message right after it closes. Thankfully it seems mionor in that it is just an annoyance.

I can confirm this behavior on my system (Windows XP on Parallels). Using Scriv 1.02.

I’ve got this up for investigation; I haven’t seen it yet myself, frustratingly, but maybe Lee will manage to track it down.

syclone - What OS version are you using?

and to everyone - This is all on a clean install of 1.0, updated to 1.0.2, yes? (Meaning, if you had previous betas installed, you fully uninstalled them prior to installing 1.x.) For those getting crash on close, does this happen only when closing the program–that is, if you have two projects open, closing the first does not crash but closing the second does (or, if you have the New Project panel set to display when there are no projects, closing the last project does not crash but closing the New Project panel does)?

Clean install of 1.0 updated to 1.0.2.

Just tried it with two projects open. Closed both and no crash occurred. Tends to happen with a single project and closing project triggers an automatic backup.

In fact, I’ve disabled “backup on exit”, so this souldn’t be the cause.

What’s more : when I open 2 projects, check for updates, then quit one of the two, it doesn’t crash. It does on exiting the 2nd.

I’m not able to reproduce this crash. How are you closing out of Scrivener after checking for an update? File -> Close Project, File -> Close All, File -> Exit, or are you clicking red ‘x’?

Also, are you registered or still in Trial mode?

We’ll take a look to see if there’s anything that could cause this with the auto-backup, and check for update code.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I’m a registered user.

I’ve tried exiting with “X”, with “close project”, with “close all” and with “exit” => all these lead to the same crash.

Windows 7 (I can provide machanical specs if needed, but is not strugling in any requirement)

Yes. Completely uninstalled betas and installed 1.0.0. Updates did not involve an uninstall.

I typically only have one project open at a time so I cannot provide any input on this. I will try this scenario out and report back later.

I almost always click the red “x” at the top right-hand corner.

I am a registered user.

Thank you Scrivener team for always being so prompt. And again, this issue is not causing me any problems with regard to functionality, stability or file integrity; the problem is post use.

Registered user and I usually click red x to close.

1. Yes, on a clean install of 1.0, updated to 1.0.2
  2. It happens only when closing program–closing first does not crash, but closing second (or third) does.

I get it by clicking the red X, File → Exit, File → Close All, File → Close project (all the options).

I’m in Trial mode, running Windows XP3 on Parallels 6 on OSX Lion.

One more detail that may be significant: Choosing “check for update” more than once in a session had no effect; that is, nothing at all happens the second (or any subsequent times).

As stated above–this really doesn’t act like a crash. It has no effect on the documents saving properly or anything else, as far as I can tell, it just posts the notice of error after closing.
ScrivError.jpg

I get the same, registered user on XP. It pops up after I close Scrivener, but does not seem to have any adverse affect while I’m using Scrivener.

Looking at the details of the crash, I’ve seen…

AppName: scrivener.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: qtcore4.dll
ModVer: 4.7.4.0 Offset: 000f0960

But I’ve also seen qtgui4 as the mod name like this…

I am getting the same error as described in the above, but perhaps I can add a little info that will help isolate the cause.

I have Scrivener 1.0.2 installed on 2 computers - one running Windows 7. This is at home, no firewall involved. The other computer is running Windows XP/SP3. This is at work behind a corporate firewall. I have had none of the problems reported in the above on the Windows 7 machine at home. However, on the XP/SP3 machine at work I can duplicate the problem at will. Any time I close Scrivener after checking for updates, I get the standard windows message box stating that Scrivener has encountered a problem and must close. Also, when I check for updates (on the XP/SP3 machine only) I get an error message that says download aborted. On the Windows 7 machine (at home, no firewall), the check for update process performs the check, and works just fine.

I am a registered user on both machines, and as noted above, this problem doesn’t seem to affect any other Scrivener functionality (except that I can’t use the ‘check for update’ process at work) - just an annoyance when I close Scrivener.

Hope this helps.

Great catch, DickKeaton, and should very likely help the team.

I am wondering if this may have anything to do with those who had crashes over the weekend, reporting in Tech Support. Is there possibly an automatic check-for-updates which occurs until it’s satisfied, after doing an install??

Regards,
Clive

qtcore4.dll seems to be a problem or at least involved somehow.

I don’t know what’s going on tho. I’ve never had any crash issues when using beta 35.

Hi there,

I have the same issue on 1.0.2 after checking for update. Win7 x64. Clean install of 1.0. Get it after checking for updates and clicking red x or file>>exit. Error log:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Scrivener.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4ebcaa8a
Fault Module Name: QtCore4.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.7.4.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4eb772d4
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000f0960
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

All best,
Steven

I can’t produce this error, either, but has anyone who’s been having this error consistently tried disabling their internet, check for updates (you’ll get a host not found or some such), and then exit to see if that changes anything?

I have also experienced this crash on closing scrivener. I open scrivener, checked for update, received ‘scrivener up to date’ message. Closed message. Closed scrivener. At the time I had the intro tutorial open.

Also tried pulling network cord, open scrivener, check for update, got ‘host not found’ message, closed scrivener, got same error message.

I am currently running version 1.0.2 which was a clean install as 1.0 >> updated to 1.0.1 >> updated to 1.0.2. (all previous versions of scrivener were installed in VMs)

Error message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Scrivener.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4ebcaa8a
Fault Module Name: QtCore4.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.7.4.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4eb772d4
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000f0960
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1