Scrivener 3.0 connection to licence error

I just purchased 3.0 last month after using it as a trial for a few weeks. Now, every time I open Scrivener, a pop-up box says there’s a connecting to license issue. Then it just goes to ‘not responding’ and I can’t use it.
No idea what to do as I’m new to its use but can’t use at all right now. How do I fix this?

thank you
Jane

PS: When I close the Scrivener window a pop-up says Scrivener not responding with the options to wait or close anyway, so I close it as waiting does nothing - when I open it a second time, it works. But the process begins again when I open it the first time.

Hello Jane, and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to learn you’re having some issues with how Scrivener is behaving when you first open it.

I recommend reviewing your PC’s Windows Security settings, as well as the security settings for any anti-virus, firewall, proxy, or VPN software your PC has installed. The behavior you’ve encountered suggests that a security tool on your PC might be blocking Scrivener from performing its license verification when it’s first launched.

You may find that you need to add Scrivener to the “exceptions list” or “approved list” for your security programs for it to activate its license.

Another option you can test is to run Scrivener as an administrator (right click over the Scrivener icon and select ‘Run as administrator’) and register. Next time you launch Scrivener normally it should stay registered.

If neither of those suggestions resolves the activation issue, then you may want to reboot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and activate Scrivener in that mode. The steps for rebooting in Safe Mode with Networking are available here.

The Safe Mode with Networking will deactivate any tools that are blocking Scrivener, but it will still be able to connect to the servers. Then, you can reboot your computer as you normally would.

If those three suggestions do not resolve this, then I recommend opening a help ticket with our tech-support team. You can use either the form or the email links on our contact us page to submit a help request.

If that step is necessary, please include a link to this forum post with your ticket and give us a summary of what happened when you took these actions. That way, whomever picks up your ticket can review this discussion and will know which troubleshooting steps you’ve already used.

1 Like

Hi Ruth, thanks so much for your reply. The first part I couldn’t do as there was no ‘manage settings’ step to get to the exclusions section. I discovered my computer isn’t eligible for the windows 11 updates due to the processor so will need to continue with windows 10.

I tried the ‘run as administrator’ and that seems to have worked though. There was nothing that popped up about registering so does that happen automatically? I’ve tried opening it normally now and it looks like it’s ok.

Thanks again
Jane

1 Like

Hi Jane. I know what you mean about not being able to upgrade your Windows version. I have a similar issue with my processor.

Since you mentioned that your PC tends to have issues when Scrivener is first launched but is fine after that, it likely has saved a registry file from the servers and accessed that save information this time.

I suspect that if you power your PC down tonight and restart it tomorrow, Scrivener will display an error about issues connecting to the servers. If you use the “run as administrator” option at that point, it should show the pop-up where you can enter your licensing credentials.