Scrivener 3 for Windows - missing options?

Hello!
I recently downloaded Scrivener 3 for Windows because my Apple friends were telling me about all the things this update is able to do for them. I must say I am disappointed. I purchased Scrivener 2 a year ago and loved it! I was hoping that Scrivener 3 would be a literal upgrade, but so far it’s not.

The feature I was most excited about was the ability to dictate directly to Scrivener. I cannot find that option in Scrivener 3 for Windows. But my Apple friend was able to show me where it was on her Mac.

Another feature I was looking forward to using was the ability to change Scrivener themes, something Scrivener 3 for Apple users love. I cannot find the appearance panel in Scrivener 3 for Windows.

Finally, Scrivener 2 for Windows had the ability to add a backdrop to the Full Screen composition mode. I used this feature all the time, but now I cannot find it in Scrivener 3 for Windows. Additionally, Full Screen mode in Scrivener 3 for Windows is forever stuck in a dark background, dark “paper”, and white font. I cannot write in Full Screen mode like this.

I have been searching the internet for Scrivener 3 for Windows tutorials, hoping that someone has discovered the secret to unlocking these features, but no luck. Am I missing something? Do these features not exist in Scrivener 3 for Windows? If they don’t I would like to suggest adding them soon.
Thank you!

P.S. I do appreciate the new Search Menus feature! It’s so handy. But it could not find these options either. :cry:
-Beth

1 Like

The Mac dictation feature is provided by Apple, it’s built into the Mac operating system and all Mac software can access it. I think there is some similar capability offered in Windows 10, as discussed by this web article. But I’ve never used Windows 10 dictation, so can’t speak to how effective it is.

Change themes via Window > Themes.

File > Options > Appearance > Composition Mode > Colors > Screen Background

Changing your theme via Window > Themes will also change the Comp Mode backgrounds and text. Or you can configure it yourself via File > Options > Appearance > Composition Mode > Colors. The specific settings you might want to play with are Editor, Text, and Screen Background.

I recommend you go through the v3 Tutorial (Help > Interactive Tutorial) to learn about other new and changed features.

Best,
Jim

3 Likes

Thank you so so much! You have no idea how happy you just made me! :sob:

1 Like

You might also have a look at our upgrade guide for Scrivener 1 users, here: Scrivener 3: A Guide for Scrivener 1 Users | Literature and Latte

2 Likes