Scrivener 3 has to verify every time I open it

When I go to open nothing happens for a while, then I get the Security & Privacy icon with a message saying ‘Verifying’ (which you often get with new apps you’re opening for the first time) followed by a message saying ‘“Scrivener” is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?’ I’ve tried logging out and back in, rebooting, but I still get the error message every time.

Any ideas? It’s not huge, but it is annoying because it takes so long to open having to go through this process every time.

Also wanted to add, that although it shows the new (circular) logo in the Finder, it still shows the old, rectangular logo in the dock.

Should I delete the old version to see if that fixes it?

For the dock icon there’s usually an easy fix. Just do a right click (ctrl-click) on it and select Options/Reveal in Finder. That action should change the icon to the new one.

Where are you opening Scrivener from? Have you dragged it to your Applications folder (the application itself, not the DMG file)?

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith, the app is in the Applications folder. I’ve tried logging out then back in and rebooting but still getting the same message, and only for Scrivener. I’ve now deleted Scrivener 2 (after upgrading to 3) in case it had something to do with that, but no, still get it every time.

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 8.59.53 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 9.00.06 am.png

Try moving Scrivener to another folder and then dragging it back again. If that doesn’t work, try downloading and reinstalling. That’s very weird, though - that’s controlled by macOS, and it seems that for some reason it is stuck not letting Scrivener out of quarantine.

All the best,
Keith

OK, that seems to have done the trick, probably should have tried that earlier.

BTW, congrats on Scriv 3, it’s been amazing to watch you go on this journey from the very early betas of Scrivener 1 to where it is today.