Scrivener 3 not counting inspector footnotes even when selected in compile

I have been keeping track of footnotes in the inspector and have “count footnotes” checked in the statistics options but when I compile into word I see that none of my footnotes have been counted this whole time. This seems like a bug, yes? If I select “count footnotes” it should count footnotes in my word count! Is there a way I can get Scrivener to do this? Or do I need to transform all my inspector footnotes to inline footnotes?

It works fine for me on all of my current projects, and I use inspector footnotes almost exclusively. Something as simple as quitting and reopening Scrivener might help.

How big is your project? I had an issue with my last major project - a book with 80,000 words in the body and ~15,000 in inspector footnotes. That’s not a big project by Scriv’s usual abilities, but it crashed on the majority of occasions that I opened the Project Statistics window, and when it didn’t crash it wouldn’t include footnotes in the word count even with the option checked. Weird, and support couldn’t figure it out even with a copy of the project.

The workaround I used, when I had to know the precise word count including footnotes, was to load the draft in the editor in Scrivenings mode. Hover over the word count in the editor’s footer to see some statistics. Click on the word count and you’ll see the options you need there.

There are two tools which show text that, to speak technically of it, does not exist anywhere in the text editor: the one Kinsey points you to above, where you click on the stats to bring up advanced and calculated stats, and the Project ▸ Project Statistics... command, which is the most thorough and accurate word count in the software (and you will notice that being accurate takes time).

If you are using any tool that keeps up with you as you type, then that’s just an estimate. There is no way to accurately count stuff that isn’t in the editor, or that might change as a result of compiling (for example, are footnotes even included?), without introducing a degree of typing lag that nobody would accept.

So yeah, ultimately if you do want a real time word count that includes footnote text in the count, you would need to ensure they are in the editor so they can be counted efficiently: with inline footnotes.

I’m using the project>project statistics count. Trust me I’ve tried a lot of things to get it to show the correct number but nothing works. Here’s what I’m getting:

Word: 88,582
Scrivener: 79,497
Word when I remove the footnotes: 80,095

Hmm, maybe try setting the counting mode, at the bottom, to “Accurate”, after double-checking that the footnote counting setting is enabled in the Options tab. Let that count, and see if that is closer to 88k. You might be able to set it back to “Estimate” mode after that. I’m wondering if maybe it’s out of sync and doing that might update it.

Unfortunately no, that’s been tried too.

update-- I tried it again after doing some edits and now “estimate” is showing more words than the Word count.

Word: 83,941
Scrivener estimate: 84,151
Scrivener accurate: 75,259

This means the “estimate” is actually more accurate than the “accurate” word count. I’m going to use that for the time being. :upside_down_face:

I’m not sure how to replicate that result on my end. For me, the “Accurate” setting seems to always count footnotes, even if I enable the compile option to strip them out—the only thing that does seem to make a difference (for either counting method), is the Count footnotes checkbox is the Options tab of statistics. I suspect that setting is designed to take priority in this matter, since in most other cases the compile settings can have a full impact on how “Accurate” works—try selecting the “Enumerated Outline” format for a demonstration of how dramatic that can be.

But that doesn’t fully explain what you see, since for me I get the same result with both counting methods. Again the only thing that makes a difference for me is that checkbox.

If the project is one you could share with tech support, we could maybe try and figure out what is going on, and if there is a bug, fix it. Otherwise it may remain a mystery, as I suspect how you got to this point may be a matter of circumstance (perhaps, for example, if a certain import method is used at some point in the past for a particular file type that contained a bunch of footnotes) rather than a procedural situation of settings I’m not thinking of.

But if not, that’s fine, and it sounds like you at least have a reasonable estimate to work from at the moment.