Scrivener 3 on Windows: Producing unwished metadata in .tex output.

Nothing has changed between 1.x and 3.x in this regard. The settings are in roughly the same place in version 3. Edit the compile format, and in the LaTeX Options format pane, set the document class to “None”. If you select a pre-built class here then yes you will get as many .tex files as it takes to build something easy to typeset in a vanilla looking fashion.

Important: at the moment that isn’t fully implemented yet in the beta, from what I can see. You still get a bunch of boilerplate in the output folder. That’s not intentional of course; it should be working the way it did in 1.x, but maybe that is what you are seeing if you have already done the above.

I’m not familiar with what you describe doing, but that aside I’d approach this particular problem with Section Layouts. Create a layout called “Raw LaTeX” or something, and add the MMD codes for passing through raw syntax to the Prefix and Suffix tabs. Then it is a simple matter of flagging items as code in the binder, using Types.

You want something like this as an end product, so the stuff before the binder item would go into the prefix, and the stuff after into the suffix:

[code]```{=latex}
[BINDER ITEM TEXT]

Note the fence quotes need to be on their own line, so be sure to arrange for that in the prefix and suffix tabs. And for cases where you don’t need the entire file to be raw code but just a bit of text within it, Styles also have a prefix and suffix compile setup. I linked to several examples of how to comment out LaTeX code, and combine that capability with compile features, in my previous response.
[quote]
a file which does not contain auto-generated classes and info. I don’t want the author info, the title etc.
[/quote]
I don’t think much as changed here with MMD in recent years. It’s entirely up to you whether you want that stuff in there, and nothing fundamental has changed in Scrivener, with regards to how it passes your settings through. It inputs any metadata you provide for the project, and MMD will then take those fields and turn them into LaTeX variables so you can use them elsewhere in the document. If you don’t want metadata then don’t use it. Version 3 has a metadata setup panel in the main project overview screen for project-specific stuff. It also has one in the saved format, which can be used to set up meta specific to the look & feel of the document. (We tend to keep these empty though, unless there is a strong reason to supply something, like shifting the base header level to 2 in the article format, where Parts are irrelevant.)

Also MMD has a built-in convention whereby if you exclude all document-level type metadata then it will simply process the provided content in a form designed to be pasted into a complete .tex file, or included from one. By document-level metadata I mean things like giving your file a [i]Title[/i], as opposed to metadata used for settings, like [i]Base Header Level[/i]. This is the so-called “snippet” mode.
[quote]
I understand that you are inviting me to a participation in the MMD movement. But I don’t think I will have the time for politics.
[/quote]
I meant more along the lines of: if there is a way to disable this behaviour they might know better how to do so. I’ve never looked into it myself and have no idea how to, because like I said above: if I don’t want a particular piece of metadata in my file I don’t put it in—whether I’m typing it in by hand into a text editor or using the GUI in Scrivener, it’s all the same. And if I want no metadata I get a snippet file with no fluff.
[quote]
Another saying in software design is Don’t make me think!
[/quote]
I’m maybe taking this too literally, but software that doesn’t make me think gets tossed and flushed from my system. The software that makes me think (like LaTeX) gets used for decades.
[quote]
But definitely not under the circumstances of loosing one of its greatest advantages in text producing. Because everything concerning typesetting and typography, I handle with LaTeX and MiKTeX. Scrivener is only about content. Its connectivity to LaTeX the way I use it is precious to me.
[/quote]
I’m much of the same inclination myself. I use LaTeX for most things that need to look nice, and I have extensive bridging built between it and Scrivener, using MMD for the heavy lifting. To be quite honest I couldn’t imagine going back to the 1.x / 2.x way of doing things at this point. It’s just like you say, Scrivener is for getting the content together and glued up with whatever syntax it needs that MMD doesn’t do, and there so many better ways of doing that with the Section Type + Style system than there were in the past.

But nobody can convince you of that—if the old version works fine, then enjoy using it, it’s no skin off our back if you like one version of Scrivener or another. :slight_smile: I think it is a little premature to be ascertaining how well it works with Markdown though, as they don’t have all of that wired back up yet from what I can see, so maybe give it another try when it is out.