Scrivener 3 won't update projects created in Scrivener 2

Purchased Version 3, attempted to open project created in Version 2, got the “Update Project?” window, click OK. After about 15 seconds, I have to Force Quit Scrivener (shows “not responding” in the Force Quit window.

Any suggestions? I’m not a pro user by any means. I’ve messaged support through the website, but thought I might get a faster response here.

Is this happening with just one project? Have you successfully upgraded any other Scrivener 2 projects?

Are you able to create new projects okay in Scrivener 3?

Also, make sure you’re running the latest update (Scrivener 3.2.3), especially if you’re using macOS Monterey.

It happens with every project I’ve tried except one. That one upgraded successfully.

Yes, I can create new projects.

I downloaded the latest Scrivener - I was using 3.1.3 (I think). Same issue with 3.2.3.

I’m on Mojave (10.14.6).

Have you tried giving it more than 15 seconds? Some projects can take a while to update, if they have a lot of stuff in them.

I’m not stopping it after 15 seconds - Scrivener freezes and becomes unresponsive after about 15 seconds.

Okay, I wasn’t sure from the original wording. In that case do you have a project in particular that you wouldn’t mind sending in to tech support, so we can take a look at it? We may be able to find the cause and advise you on how to get around it—and if it is something we can fix, get the bug squashed as well.

Jen from tech support has contacted me - sorry, I didn’t realize you were tech support as well.