Scrivener and high CPU usage

Hi
Recently I have noticed that when I use Scrivener it is running very slowly. When looking at my task manager the CPU usage spikes every time I even type a word - is this normal? Scrivener is the only thing open and I got my computer checked for viruses etc but the only thing that seems to be causing the problem is Scrivener… is there anyway to fix this? Scrivener is so useful but its almost unusable because its so slow when I try to use it.

I’ve noticed that with the latest build also. I thought it was because the project I’m working on is fairly large-- 939 MG
Not literally with every word, but often enough to notice a sluggishness I didn’t remember with the preceding build

Hi Marta

Thanks for your reply, I do remember updating recently - maybe its something to do with that. Its so frustrating, I don’t want to have to start using word again. I don’t think my project is very big, its only about 25,000 words currently and a few pdf files. Nothing major I don’t think.

This is definitely not normal, and it has (or should have) nothing to do with the size of your project (in Megabytes). Unless you have a million words in your project, and you try to load them all at once into your editor, the size of your project should never really be an issue while entering new words. Try starting a new document in your binder, and have only that document loaded in the editor; does your CPU usage still spike when you type? What about starting a new blank project and typing into it? That kind of info could be very helpful to the Lit & Lat folks.

Do you have the Project Targets window open by any chance? I’ve noticed a bit of a CPU spike/sluggishness when I’m typing with that open, but it goes back to normal as soon as I close it.

YMMV of course.

Robert
I’ll do that in the next couple of days and post

I’ve opened Project Targets window and found Scrivener to almost come to a halt, so I stopped using it
Again I thought it was because the size of my project which just in the novel area is around 100,000 words.

Thanks for the responses - yes I do have the project targets window open! I closed it and it definitely isn’t as sluggish. Pity as I liked the project targets window to keep me motivated!

I have no issues with performance. The CPU barely registers when I’m typing or saving.

Some questions that might help isolate the problem:

Laptop or desktop?
Windows version?
How much memory?
CPU?
Do other programs have this kind of effect?

Something you might consider if everything else checks out is to uninstall Scrivener completely, run CCleaner on files and the registry, reboot, and reinstall the latest Scrivener release.

A further thought:

Ctrl-Alt-Del, choose Start Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and click the title of the CPU column so that the highest CPU-using processes are listed first. In Scrivener, do what you were doing before and see which processes are using the CPU.