Scrivener and InDesign

We have noticed that InDesign does not play well with files exported in any format. ID strips out text formatting such as italics, bold, and probably more. Any have a solution or workaround for this?

This seems to be working okay for me using the RTF format. If you create a new document in InDesign, then use File/Place..., select the RTF file that was compiled from Scrivener, and then click in the top-left corner of the page to place it. Now click the continuation box and shift-click anywhere outside of the first page to auto-fill pages with the text box content. You can basically search for tips and tutorials on importing files from Word to InDesign, since most of them will recommend you save a Word file as an RTF first, which brings up to the same square Scrivener starts from.

Doesn’t work in ID 7.5.3. I follow the same process as described. All italics, bold, etc. are stripped out. Indents do hold, but that’s about it.

We have opened the exported files (ODT, RTF, DOC, DOCX) in OpenOffice, Bean, etc., even TextEdit, and the formatting is there. But when the file is Placed, formats disappear. Baffling. Frustrating.

Version 7 came with CS5, right? Hmm, that should be working. I think styled import was implemented in CS4? I’m not the biggest InDesign expert. :slight_smile: Is the base font coming through identically, I wonder if maybe it is a font issue?

Font is retained. I even tried to use different fonts, thinking it might be a font issue. No change.