Scrivener and Papers workflow experiences

I’m using Papers2 to organise the references for a current project. Very useful being able to drag and drop references from Papers into Scrivener as links or temporary citations. But I’d be interested to know how others are using these two excellent pieces of software together.

One issue I come across is this: I have a PDF in Scrivener. I open that PDF in Preview and make some notations. If I add that same PDF to Papers, either before or after the notations, I end up with two copies of the document – one in the Papers database and one in the Scrivener database. This then gets messy if I want to reopen the document and make more notations.

Perhaps I should be working out of Papers first and just inserting citations from there – well supported on both sides – but it would be handy to be able to see my annotated PDFs from within Scrivener too as I often write in one editor while having a PDF open in the other.

Anyway, any thoughts and ideas would be welcomed.

Does Papers let you reveal the location of the PDF on disk? If so, you could use Scrivener’s File/Import/Research Files as Aliases command to import the PDF from Papers into Scrivener as a link. This way you only have one copy, all annotations made to it will show up in both applications. An aliased resource in Scrivener is a full citizen. It has a different icon (little arrow in the corner), but otherwise acts just like a PDF that has been fully imported. That means QuickReference views, split views, full meta-data access, etc.

Yes it does Amber, so what you suggest is the solution. Papers also allows the other way around (i.e. import of files as alias) but your suggestion is cleaner because it’s harder to get to the disk location of the Scrivener version and I’d rather not mess ‘under the hood’ of my Scrivener files anyway.

In any case, I think the workflow is better when Papers is used for searching and collating a large number of potential resources, with only the useful ones then being imported/linked into Scrivener.

Thanks for that.