Scrivener and Powerpoint

Hi,
Until very recently I was using Scrivener to collect and organise Powerpoint presentations. A few slides got a bit distorted, but it was great having 20 or so ppt files in the Research binder, and being able to scroll through the slides for each presentation in turn. I’ve just upgraded to Mac OS Mavericks and unfortunately though the ppt files are still there in the binder, you can’t scroll through the slides in them any more: they are now just non-browsable “title slides” that look a bit like an old 35 mm slide. Am I missing something here or has some functionality gone? Upgrading from Scrivener 2.4 to 2.5 did not make any difference.
Cheers
Richard

I believe what you are referring to is merely Apple’s Quick Look technology, which we are piping through the editor for formats that cannot otherwise be displayed with Scrivener itself? If so, it could be that Microsoft needs to update their Quick Look plug-in for 10.9. We haven’t changed anything here, and there really is nothing to change. It’s just a directive to use a particular service provided by the Mac, and display the results of that service.

Hi,
That would seem plausible, but I can still use Quick Look in the Mac Finder i.e. when I’ve clicked on a ppt or pptx file in column view, I see the slides in a column to the right and can scroll through them using the arrows that appear. I take this to mean that the Powerpoint Quick Look plugin is compatible with Mavericks but not with Scrivener.
Best wishes
Richard

I wouldn’t call it compatibility, but in essence I think you are correct. From what I can see, 10.9 just isn’t giving us any content to work with for PPT files. It’s compatible, it works for other formats as far as I can tell, it is just that specifically PPT appears to no longer serve up anything meaningful. If there was no QL preview, Scrivener would display the file icon instead.

I’ve noted that Quick Look appears to have regressed in Finder as well. If you check a .pages file, it no longer has thumbnails. It seems to me 10.9 just has some bugs in this area still. I wish we could do more about that, but I like say we’re just asking for content and printing what we’re given.