Scrivener and Source Control (Git)

Hi there!

Is anyone using Git with their Scrivener project? I’ve found a couple of pages on the subject, and it seems to work fine. But I’d like to keep my repository as clean as possible. As such I want to configure a .gitignore to only maintain the files that I require to be able to run the program properly across my computers, and maintain version history for any big changes I make.

Obviously what is required is subjective, so I was hoping someone could help me out with what various files in a Scrivener project are? Both https://github.com/carsomyr/scrivener_starter/blob/master/.gitignore and http://kpower.me/2013/08/26/scrivener-with-git.html offer .gitignore files, but they don’t explain what they’re ignoring. Where in not tracking a particular file I might lose history that I wanted to keep?

A few files in particular that I’d love to know what they store/do, and whether they’re worth tracking in the repository:

• /Files/Docs/docs.checksum
  • /Files/binder.autosave
  • /Files/binder.backup
  • /Files/search.indexes
  • /Files/user.lock
  • /Files/version.txt
  • /Settings/recents.txt
  • /Settings/scriptformat.xml
  • /Settings/templateinfo.xml // I removed the ‘Template Info’ file from the project, but going by the readable part of text in this file it seems to have been maintained in the file system?
  • /Settings/ui.ini

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The Scrivener project format is discussed in Appendix F of the Scrivener manual. Note, however, that the format will be changing with Scrivener 3.0, which is currently in beta testing.

There’ve been a couple of threads in this forum about integration with Git. You might want to review them as well.

Katherine

Hey Katherine,

Thanks for the response! I tried search the forum for ‘Git’ but it didn’t seem to turn up any results. How does licensing work with version 3? I was going to purchase my license this week for 2.0, but does that mean I will have to purchase again for 3.0?

Scrivener 3.0 will be a paid upgrade – at a substantial discount – for Scrivener 2.x users.

I don’t know when the release date for Scrivener 3.0 will be. If you purchase Scrivener 2.x within a few weeks of the release date, Scrivener 3.0 will be free.

Katherine

Hi Katherine,

will the discount also be available for users who bought Scrivener 2 via the App Store? I don’t know how this would work.

Joerg

We’re not quite sure how that would work, either, as the Apple Store doesn’t allow discounts. One option that has been discussed is to offer a lower Apple Store price for all customers for a limited time after the 3.0 release. But I’m not sure anything has been officially decided.

Katherine