Scrivener and Surface Pro 3

Apologies if this is redundant from another post; I looked briefly and didn’t find something exact. So, I have the Surface Pro 3, which I love, and just got Scrivener, which seems rather intriguing. My problem is this: when going through the tutorial on the SP3 screen, Scrivener seems really compact and difficult to read (the notecard text is small, for example)… the screen just seems too small to use the software effectively and for a long duration, with all the options it packs into it. I am wondering if others who have the SP3 have used Scrivener effectively? It seems to have what I am looking for, but it is not much good if I blow my eyes out trying to use it.

As an alternative, and to go somewhat off track, anyone use OneNote for nonfiction writing? That would be my other, immediate option. Thanks for any advice. I am trying to find useful software for this purpose…

I have a SP3 and I was kind of taken aback when I jumped from my old laptop to the high resolution of te SP3. I got used to it however and now I don’t have much of a problem with it. Do you have the keyboard cover? It makes things a bit easier for menus and buttons and such with the touchpad.

I do have the sp3 cover and it is very useful. I merely worry that the screen size of the sp3 is not adequate for the myriad of buttons and subscreens that are available on scrivener. perhaps I will just test it out some more. Part of my problem is perhaps my lack of comfort with the software at this point

But yeah I would love to see Scrivener a bit more compatible with the touch screen. I tend to move around things in my binder when I’m really just trying to just scroll through them. I usually give up and slap on my keyboard. Also when in portrait mode the different sections make the main writing window get very skinny. It would be nice to be able to toggle each section on and off to make room. The only other thing that could make it a bit better would be to have the icons and menus etc bigger but that’s probably more to do with my screen resolution than the program itself.

The binder and inspector can be toggled by the menu options under View > Layout or by their main toolbar buttons (the blue binder on the left and the “i” in the blue circle on the right). Editor splits can be closed or changed from vertical to horizontal via the View > Layout menu or the buttons in the right of the editor header.

Have you tried tweaking the DPI scaling settings? Usually helps for high resolution screens like the SP3. See this link for some more information: eightforums.com/tutorials/28 … 8-1-a.html

Regarding Onenote, I use both Onenote and Scrivener for academic writing. I use Onenote to compile my results (like a lab book) as well as to store any important information, research notes etc. So I don’t tend to use the research folder within Scrivener. I use scrivener to compile my manuscripts, with Endnote as teh reference manager. I then compile to RTF, add the bibliography using Endnote’s scan RTF feature, then submit the final RTF document. It works well for me, I prefer Onenote’s organisation of all of the surrounding information and prefer Scrivener as a flexible word processor. I wouldn’t recommend onenote to write documents, it’s really designed as a note taking program.

I am demoing Scrivener on my PC now but want to move it to my SP3 if I buy it. I guess i better try it on my SP3 now too. I am very disappointed that you guys are reporting that Scrivener is not very touch friendly.

That said Onenote totally rocks on the SP3!

Has anyone tried the Windows version of Scrivener on the new Surface 3 tablet? The machine is supposed to run full Windows 8.1 but I am not sure if this is true when using it as a tablet (without the keyboard cover), relying totally on the touch screen and the screen keyboard.

I am particularly concerned with the aesthetics (readability, a frustration-free operating environment) and the fluidity of the display, especially: can one enlarge the text within any or all of the screen panels (binder, editor, outliner, cards, etc.)? Can one operate Scrivener with just the touch screen and the onscreen keyboard? My goal is to use Scrivener on the Surface as a tablet. If I have to use the keyboard cover I might just as well use my laptop.

I am not even sure about where Scrivener fits in in terms of desktop Windows and the Metro version?

Sorry if some of my questions reveal a great deal of ignorance, I have been mostly a Mac person, but it looks like OS X on the ipad is still years away, if ever, whereas the Surface seems to have already done it, so it is very tempting…

Thanks for sharing your experience or any “rumors” you may have! :slight_smile:
Dee

The Surface 3 is not using a non-Intel CPU like the Surface RT and Surface 2 did, so like the Pro versions, it runs the full Windows 8.1, not Windows RT 8.1. Having said that, though, Scrivener is a legacy Windows desktop app – one that uses the QT framework, not the native Windows .NET framework, and definitely not one that uses the 8.1/10.0 universal app framework. As a result, in my experience on a Surface Pro and Surface 3 Pro, Scrivener as a pure touch application is not a great experience. I used my stylus for most mouse/pointer control, and trying to use Scriv with the OSK was in my opinion an exercise in frustration. Then again, I am really wedded to having a tactile keyboard – I’m the guy that will get a Bluetooth keyboard for a pure tablet because I don’t like typing on OSKs for anything other than a PIN or quick email.

Touch screen for Windows Scrivener experience

Hardware
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 laptops w/optional touch screens for a couple of years hard use Scrivener.
Best of both worlds, multiple languages for on-screen keyboard and normal keyboard included.

All inputs possible, backlit normal keyboard, multiple on-screen keyboards incl handwriting recognition, track pad, track point, mouse, touch-screen gestures specific to 8.1.
Auto screen keyboards appear with touch, though normal keyboard is the best available on any computer.

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon
shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/th … =LEN893466

14.0" QHD (2560x1440) IPS Multi-touch with WWAN screen option ($215) is the latest version available on Gen 3 X1 Carbon. X1 screen size is ideal for any use.

They call it an Ultrabook but it’s a professional grade laptop, very thin and light at 2.9 lbs
and
sturdier than any.

Software
Scrivener for Windows with Zotero in Firefox for text or downloads,
Sketchup and Photoshop for images,
all to Acrobat XI or CC.
All content to PDF stored in Google Drive, for Indesign import and format.
(Zero Microsoft or Chrome)

Also use ultimate Macbooks discrete processor for graphics, Air laptop, etc. but tablets always need a keyboard added for writing, laptop is best. Windows / Microsoft can be infuriating in other ways but Apple doesn’t put a good touchscreen on a laptop. Windows 8.1 Scrivener is great.
Apple is great too but you can’t get a touchscreen and normal keyboard in one unit.
Windows Surface / tablet is pointless and shifting to 8.1 / 10 anyway.