Scrivener AppImage

Since I wanted to run Scrivener on a very low spec Chromebook I have converted for Linux, with very little hard disk making it unsuitable for a full Wine install and running a very slim and stripped Linux dsitribution, I started looking at turning the Linux beta version into an AppImage to be able to simply run it from a single file and not have to worry about dependencies and the like.

I figured this will save me space, and will save a lot of hassle in the long run since the AppImage will contain all dependencies, and should be possible to run on pretty much any x86 system which is running a Linux kernel.

Turns out I didn’t really have to put the effort into doing that, as I stumbled upon an already setup AppImage which does basic setup of the home directory and installs itself properly.

wayoflinux.com/blog/scrivener-returns

The advantage of an AppImage is that it’s really just one file containing the application with all its dependencies, and it should not need constant updating as one updates or changes the running OS.

1 Like

That’s a pretty neat solution
I was actually looking for something like that for a long time already
thank you!

I’m not in a position to use this yet so I have no feedback.

Thank you for the heads-up that this possibility exists.

I get a message Internal Server Error for the site wayoflinux.com/blog/scrivener-returns What’s the problem? There is any alternative? I hope
Thanks
Josef

Should be possible to get it from archive dot org.

EDIT: Just tested, and the 32 bit version downloads, but not the 64 bit. I will find a mirror to put the multilanguage 64 bit version up tomorrow. Must sleep now.

1 Like

Here is a link to the 64 bit full language pack AppImage, as posted on wayoflinux.

4 Likes

Hey fellow depreciated Linux users.

I had run such a version for years until my laptop drive crashed. Fortunately my
old projects are backed up, however I can’t find a viable Linux version to install now. I note the appimage blogpost and the above dropbox link are expired. Any leads on the appimage, etc?

Much thanks!

John

1 Like

Can’t edit the above, but this should work.

3 Likes

Thank you very much!!

In case the Dropbox link was removed, the Appimage version is also uploaded to this page:

A big thank you to those who took the trouble to create and maintain it.

This is the version I still use to this day. If Scrivener was available natively for Linux, they’d have my money and I’d be looking for bugs to help the community. I think I’ll finish writing my entire five-book saga without that dream coming true.

Regards.

2 Likes