Scrivener bans usage of indentation tabs

Probably user error, :unamused: but I’m not finding answer.

I tried to set tabs using the Tools - Options - editor - ruler. I used right tabs but not work when I try to do this: I see this:

Food:
	1. Harry Pottermakiburi
A. 

But, if I copy and paste it into this forum, I get this:

Food:
	1. Harry Pottermakiburi
							A. 

All I need to do is ENTER to the next line and then tab. I write any letter followed by a period, it moves it back to untabbed as if I am wrong and don’t know what I want. If I write “stupid me” then it stays indented! Why can’t I use tabs for my own outline?
:unamused: Thanks!

You are describing a behaviour that is customary in coding editors, but not so much in word processors. Tab stops are typically used for aligning data into tabular format, using ruler stops (more like a typewriter). If you’re looking for ways to indent text, there are dedicated formatting tools for doing so.

This will be made easier in v3, where there will be commands and shortcuts for shifting the indent fluidly, but for the moment a set of formatting presets will probably be easiest.

Or you can just get used to hitting tab a lot. That’s in fact my habit, since I tend to write using Markdown in Scrivener. If I am creating a list then I press tab after return when indented.