Scrivener became very slow and shows spinning ball

Maybe it’s because my project is so large, but at the moment I am getting the OXS colour spinning ball almost after every word of typing and it makes working in Scrivener a very frustrating job. It is possible that there is a limit of pages I can use in Scrivener?

I am using a iMac on the latest software, and 16 GB of ram.

best wishes,
André
Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 15.16.58.png

Might be worth increasing the auto-save time…
[attachment=0]save.png[/attachment]

Other possibilities…

• Is there a large image or multiple images in the same document as you are typing?
  • Are you typing into a scrivening (combined/concatenated) view of the entire project draft/manuscript?
  • Other app/software running?
  • Any sort of real-time cloud syncing software running?
  • Project resides on something other than a fast local hard drive or SSD drive?
  • Reasonable free space available on the drive the project resides on?

Hope that is of some help.

I increased the auto save time when there is no activity as suggested in the previous post and it seems to help till now. Here is my project info, could this be too much?
Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 10.08.23.png

In a word, no.
If the program stalled at 20,000 (your draft) or 40,000 (your selection) words then it wouldn’t be much use for novelists (or doctoral students, or text book writers, or most of the other people who use it it). There are people with hundreds of thousands of words.

Check out these threads for some ideas:
Beach ball every few keystrokes
Typing Lag?
The ongoing typing lag…

My Scrivener W.I.P. is 73.8 mb, and contains five different drafts of a (varyingly) 122,000 - 145,000 manuscript, plus seven years of research documents including images. This on a seven-year-old MacBook Pro with rather anemic specs–and no speed issues whatsoever, except the brief delay in typing on startup which seems common to most programs after Mavericks.

It appears you’ve got other problems, somewhere deep in the computer, than the number of words. I’d direct this directly to support.

Hi Ahab

I had a similar problem with my PhD. I found that because I had a large number of graphics - imported from Adobe Illustrator and tables imported from indesign I had to use image placeholders rather than placed images to remove the problem. Another benefit is that image place holders also speed up the complile process. You can find info in the khelp menu under placeholder tags.

Hope this helps