Scrivener changes text layout in Composition mode

Hello :slight_smile:

My problem is, I have set certain indentations for my text format, with equal space to the left and right border of the page. For some reason, in composition mode the whole text format get’s narrower (a sentence that fit in one line in editor view continues into a second line), as well as shifted to the right, not centered. I have attached two pictures that show my problem.

This has been keeping me from enjoying Composition mode for quite a while now and I haven’t found a solution to it, I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

Why don’t you just change the width of the composition writing area, with the slider at the bottom?

Neither the Editor or the Composition view are wysiwyg. You can change them any way you want while writing, and it won’t affect what the text looks like when you compile for output.

Thank you lunk, trying that didn’t even cross my mind since I searched for some sort of format/indetation options. That more or less did the trick. While I can change the paper width to approximate equal spacing left and right from the text, it doesn’t quite satisfy my OCD since I would like to have an option that sets the spacing automatically and accurately. But if that doesn’t exist guess I’ll have to live with my visual estimate.

Just remember that the formatting you see on-screen (either in normal mode or Composition mode) has no direct connection with the formatting you will produce once you Compile. In Compile, you can be as precise as you desire.

I’d also be careful with setting a right indent on all of your text. That can sometimes conflict with how word processors measure things—if you don’t use the compiler to clean up your formatting to one unified look, you might want to run some tests and make sure you aren’t accidentally running text off of the right hand side of the page in Word or something.

Just remember that the formatting you see on-screen (either in normal mode or Composition mode) has no direct connection with the formatting you will produce once you Compile. In Compile, you can be as precise as you desire.
[/quote]
Yup, this is just for asthetics while writing :slight_smile:

Ok thanks for the heads up. If I use the compiler, I won’t have to worry about that right? Is there any reason not to use the compiler?

There would rarely be a reason to avoid using the compiler at all, that wasn’t well worded. What I meant was, if you are not using the compiler’s facility to clean up formatting (which is optional), then you should proof your editor format in the intended environment.