Scrivener, citations style, footnotes and Pages

Hi !

I just bought Scrivener after watching the 35 mins video and cross reading some of the tutorial project documents.

I am in a peculiar position. I’m in the last stages of my Master degree in History at the University. I took all my notes on OneNote and I have written a third of my Master thesis using Apple Pages. Last week, I sold off my PC and I have Parrallels Desktop on my Mac with Windows Vista. To make a long story short, I now have to convert all my notes from OneNote into Scrivener to finally get rid of OneNote and Windows altogether. I also have to transfer my thesis draft on Scrivener from the .pages file and I have several questions that are left unanswered.

1. I see that keywords is a great function to label documents with several keywords. But if I want to pinpoint specific informations in my Research notes, for example, pertaining to a certain subject or topics and then make a list of these to search through all my research notes all the citations pertaining to these topics, is it possible. (Like, for example, everytime an author talks about claypots or music, I could make an indicator and then, a function of Scrivener could render a page that lists all the indicators I have placed throughout all my research notes/documents for efficiency purposes). Is this possible?

2. I use Endnote X4 to keep track of all my sources and secondary sources listing. My university has a custom style for citations (footnotes and bibliography). I created a custom style in Endnote X4 that works great. Can I recreate this specific citations style in Scrivener to match my University’s standards ? Because all I see now is Chicago & APA styles which do not fit my situation one bit.

Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your thesis.
You’ve made quite a transition between PC & Mac platforms.
As you doubtless know, OneNote will export in either .docx or .doc
And Pages will import both of those into .pages files.
Then, you may want to export from .pages to .rtf
Which Scrivener will accept. There can be problems,
But if the OneNote files are straight text, all should go well.

1. In Scrivener, see the manual section 8.4, Using Collections.
    They are a bit like Saved Searches and will help you find topics in your notes.

2. In Scrivener, you will use “citation placeholders” in your draft.
    Select the item in EndNote and use Cmd-C to copy its placeholder code.
    Then place the cursor in your draft and Cmd-V to paste the code.
    You should see something like this: {Boyd, 1999 #136}
    After you compile and export from Scrivener (as .rtf),
    Pages will convert those codes into your custom style, as foot or end notes.
    You will have to create that style in EndNote and have it selected.
    See Scrivener manual, 21.1, “Bibliography Management” for other tips.

Thank you very much for your detailed and speedy answer.

As far as converting my notes from OneNote to Scrivener goes, I use something even more simple. I copy/paste from OneNote to Scrivener (thanks to Parallels Desktop). Scrivener is fantastic. I will get rid of my double OS setup and have everything on my Mac. :mrgreen:

I’ve been using Scrivener for a few months now, on a history research book, and it has made a big difference to my productivity and efficiency – overall an excellent programme that I enjoy using.

One dissatisfaction is with footnotes. The start and end of footnotes (inserted via shift-cmnd-f and marked with highlighting) are too hard to see clearly and I’m constantly finding a punctuation mark that’s supposed to be in the text but has got into the start of the footnote, or I’ve got a space between the punctuation mark and the start of the footnote. All too fiddly and I need to peer into the screen or blow up the text to be sure I’m getting it right. Part of the problem is that the line that surrounds the highlighted note is curved instead of vertical at its start, so it’s not easy to see whether a comma or full stop (period) is actually before the start of the footnote because it can look to be underneath the curve.

Not sure what the answer would be.

You could try using inspector footnotes instead if you find inline footnotes awkward. Is there a reason you prefer inline footnotes?

Another thing you can do is turn off the smaller font used for footnotes in the “Editor” preferences (you can always assign a smaller font at the Compile stage).

Thanks for the kind words!
All the best,
Keith

To be honest, Keith, I hadn’t cottoned on that there was another way! I’ve tried the Inspector method and it is indeed the solution. Sorry to have troubled you and everyone.

Sorry, I’ve gone temporarily blind (a blindness that has lasted the few hours since Keith’s post). How do I turn off the small font in the inspector? I’ve taken to using a wireless keyboard (good for the shoulders, I reckon), and the font is too small to see from the increased distance.
I can’t see that option, for some mysterious reason.

Declan

Under Preferences > Editor, you’ll see this:

If “Use for inspector footnotes too” is ticked, then the “different footnotes font” is used for both inline and inspector footnotes; if it’s not ticked, then inspector footnotes use the same font as inspector comments (set in the top box in the image above). Note that this only affects new notes - to change existing notes, select all the inspector footnotes you want to update, ctrl-click and select “Convert to Default Formatting”.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

This is what I see:

Try Preferences > Formatting — middle of the pane…

Aha!!
You are right, sir.
Thankses.

D’oh, sorry about that - answering at the end of much coding and got the wrong pane, even though I took a screenshot. :blush: