Scrivener crashes every time I try to import a Word doc

After hearing lots of people singing the praises of Scrivener I decided to give it a try. All went well until I tried to import the a document written in MS Word 2010, upon which the programme crashed with no explanation every time I tried. The document imported ok when I saved it as a Word 97-2003 file but doing that means I’ll have to convert all my work to import it into Scrivener.
Does Scrivener only work with Word 97-2003 documents (.doc rather than .docx)? It would also be helpful if there was an error message asking people to reformat to an earlier version of Word before importing, rather than it just crashing with no explanation

A search of the forums (search field in upper right corner) on “import crash” turned up a couple of possibilities/suggestions (see below). May be worth doing the search yourself and reviewing the results.

Try changing the import filter being used to import .docx
Tools > Options > Import/Export > Import Converters
Set “From File Format” to DOCX, then see what options present in the “via:” dropdown list.
Try a different converter.
At a minimum, should have Scrivener and Doc2Any as choices.
If Microsoft Office/Word is installed on the system, should have a third choice of Microsoft Office, which will employ Microsoft’s converter.

What you’ve already done… have Word save the material out in .doc (or .rtf) and import that.

There may be other scenarios. Hope that is of some assistance.

Thanks for the very helpful reply but that doesn’t seem to do anything even thought I’m trying to import documents into the ‘draft’ folder. I really wanted to try Scrivener but, unless I can reliably import Word documents into it without problems I don’t want to risk it

[quote=“SpringfieldMH”]
Try changing the import filter being used to import .docx
Tools > Options > Import/Export > Import Converters
Set “From File Format” to DOCX, then see what options present in the “via:” dropdown list.
Try a different converter.
At a minimum, should have Scrivener and Doc2Any as choices.
If Microsoft Office/Word is installed on the system, should have a third choice of Microsoft Office, which will employ Microsoft’s converter.

This worked for me. Thanks!

"

Option #1 worked for me too - as long as I did DOCX via Word - with via Scrivener the program still crashed. Thanks for posting this solution!