Scrivener crashes on opening program

Hey guys

I have been working on a project for a few weeks, and kept Scrivener in “full screen” mode on a separate desktop space.

Today I had to reboot my computer to install some updates, and when it restarted, Scrivener promptly crashed.

I am unable to restart it, as it crashes immediately when I click on the Scrivener button in the dock.

I have tried to uninstall/reinstall the app but the same thing occurs.

I am unaware of any ways to “reset” Scrivener. But so far I am unable to test if this has anything to do with the full-screen mode, the open project or something I have installed (I only updated the app Airfoil).

I have a day of working ahead of me and can’t use my main app…and it’s Saturday…help! :neutral_face:

Details: OS X Lion 10.7.1, MBP 13" 2.7 Ghz, 8GB RAM

Here is a partial dump (I removed the extremely long list of binary image details).

Process: Scrivener [545]
Path: /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener
Identifier: com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2
Version: 2.1 (2.1)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [201]

Date/Time: 2011-08-20 08:58:02.006 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.1 (11B26)
Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report: 60394 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 11
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 59520 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 11
Anonymous UUID: FCEA3DD8-380B-430D-B7C6-51EED4249937

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:
–> __PAGEZERO 0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [ 4K] —/--- SM=NUL /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener
__TEXT 0000000000001000-00000000002c1000 [ 2816K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 ??? 0000000000 0 + 0
1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x906b8b33 mach_vm_protect + 120
2 ??? 0x0038b442 0 + 3716162
3 ??? 0x0038ab9b 0 + 3713947
4 ??? 0x0038acb9 0 + 3714233
5 dyld 0x8fed1055 dyld::registerAddCallback(void ()(mach_header const, long)) + 109
6 libdyld.dylib 0x9a6e4078 _dyld_register_func_for_add_image + 74
7 ??? 0x0038aa89 0 + 3713673
8 ??? 0x0038904f 0 + 3706959

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
eax: 0x00000000 ebx: 0xbffffc1c ecx: 0x00000000 edx: 0x00000d07
edi: 0x00000000 esi: 0xac0b71bc ebp: 0xbffffb58 esp: 0xbffffb4c
ss: 0x00000023 efl: 0x00010286 eip: 0x00000000 cs: 0x0000001b
ds: 0x00000023 es: 0x00000023 fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x0000000f
cr2: 0x00000000
Logical CPU: 3

Do you remember if you had the option set to reload open projects on open? If so, it could be that something corrupted in the UI settings of the project when the updates happened, causing the project to crash—and thus Scrivener whenever it opens.

Try selecting the project in Finder and choosing “Show package Contents”. Navigate to the Settings folder within that, and remove the ui.plist file. Then restart Scrivener. This will reset all of the interface options in the project; the data will be safe, but it will revert to a default project window size and all view settings will be reset.

Thanks for the quick reply!

You are correct in assuming I had reopen projects on startup enabled.

I tried to remove ui.plist from my project but it does not help.

I have also tried to remove Scrivener’s com.literatureandlatte.scrivener.plist file from Library/Preferences.

Thanks, pulling out the preference file would have been my next recommendation. I’m afraid you’ll have to wait for Keith to look at the crash. I’ve never seen one quite like that. It looks pretty low-level to me.

Do you use Refog Personal Monitor or anything like that? I ask because someone had exactly the same crash with Illustrator in this thread on the Adobe forums, and he and someone else had it fixed by uninstalling Refog:

forums.adobe.com/message/3863684

The crash is happening very low-level, during a callback installation, before Scrivener can even load, so, having ruled out a bad installation, it certainly looks as though something external is trying to hook in and is failing. Failing Refog, do you have any other programs installed that monitor things or hook into other apps?

All the best,
Keith

i’m having the same problem - scrivener was working well just yesterday, but it won’t open any more.

i’ve tried the usual tricks - closing all other programs, deleting and re-installing, and restarting my mac - nothing.

i have the latest update to Lion installed, and the latest version of scrivener.

Hey Keith, thanks for replying.

I don’t use Refog.

The only thing I updated between yesterday and today was a program called Airfoil which lets me stream music from Spotify etc to Airport Express.

I’ll try to uninstall that in order to check if that has anything to do with this, but apart from that my Mac worked well until it rebooted after upgrading Airfoil. On reboot, all the previously running apps tried to relaunch themselves, and only Scrivener failed.

I have run Onyx, fixed preferences, removed anything which I think might interfere, stopped all other programs, but Scrivener still crashes on launch.

I have attached the crash report (added extension .txt because the uploader did not allow the .crash file extension).
Scrivener_2011-08-20-165318_tormod-guldvogs-macbook-pro-2.crash.txt (35.9 KB)

I do have another report regarding AirFoil’s latest update and it causing a Scrivener crash. The core dump looks similar; very low level. So I would definitely recommend uninstalling AirFoil and see if that works.

If I had to guess, it is doing something to QuickTime using a memory hack that alters how QT works in real-time. That’s the only thing I can think of that might connect Scrivener and a tool for publishing audio streams. Your other programs might not be loading QT frameworks.

Same problem here – presumably it is related to the Lion 10.7.1 update? Crash report attached.
Untitled 2.txt (37.1 KB)

don’t you mean de-install? anyway i’ve done this, and it made no difference.

No, Scrivener works fine on 10.7.1, so it’s not the OS X update that’s causing problems.

All of these crash reports seem to indicate that a framework on which Scrivener relies isn’t working properly, and that something is trying to hook into that framework via callbacks. This suggests to me that some third-party app has messed up a framework Scrivener relies on. There are many frameworks built into OS X, and many other programs may not be using the particular framework that is broken - only programs relying on the framework will crash.

I recommend trying to open QuickTime, AddressBook, QuickLook, Preview and Safari to see if any of those also crash to begin with.

Googling around, it seems that a number of users are experiencing crashes similar to these on 10.7.1 in various programs. For instance, this crash in Carbon Copy Cloner is almost identical:

help.bombich.com/discussions/pro … te-crashes

Unfortunately these crash reports are so low-level - they are occurring before any of Scrivener’s own code even gets a chance to run - that it is very difficult to see what’s going on. I’m 90% sure that the issue is down to something external - something messed up on these machines that is causing Scrivener to crash, not a problem in Scrivener itself - but obviously that doesn’t help those of you who are experiencing this.

For those who haven’t tried re-downloading and re-installing Scrivener, please try that first - I know the op has already done so.

After that, the next thing to try is a permissions fix, using Disk Utility.

Another, random thing to try - seeing as Scrivener works on 10.7.1 for most users this shouldn’t make any difference, but it is worth trying:

(1) Download the Sparkle framework from sparkle.andymatuschak.org.

(2) Extract it.

(3) Ctrl-click on Scrivener.app in the Finder (in /Applications) and select “Show Package Contents”.

(4) Go to the Frameworks folder.

(5) Copy the Sparkle.Framework from the extracted zip to the Framework folder within the Scrivener app package.

This is just in case the Sparkle framework is causing the problem, which is mentioned in the crash reports.

Also, please let me know if you’re using the version from the site or the Mac App Store (the latter would rule out the Sparkle framework).

Thanks,
Keith

I think I’ve found the culprit – it’s Airfoil’s Instant On extension. Uninstalling it fixed the problem for me, Scrivener’s launching just fine now. Hope this helps.

Yes, this did it for me too.

the install menu can be found under the airfoil main menu ‘install extensions’ and select de-install. it requires a system re-start.

phew.

Thank you! Yes it did work here, too. Good catch!

Thanks to Keith for being so quick to troubleshoot this, and to elciddo for finding the culprit. :mrgreen:

Well, now I’ve had an excuse to procrastinate all day so it’s back to work. Saturday evening and all. :neutral_face:

You can make Instant On ignore Scrivener, and continue to use it and Airfoil normally by adding Scrivener to the list of excluded applications.
Open Airfoil, Select “Install Extras…” from the application menu.
Click on the gear icon and choose “Instant On Preferences…”, click the plus icon and add Scrivener to the list of excluded applications. Done.