Scrivener Crashes

I believe I’m having a crash-on-exit problem. I searched the forums and found there was something similar reported for 1.0.2. It’s weird because the problem only sprung up just now; Scrivener has never crashed for me before–it hasn’t even been slow or laggy. Now it crashes every time I close it. This is the report Windows gives me:

I have to say I’m becoming increasingly annoyed by the number of bugs I’ve found in this program. I don’t want new features–I just want to be able to use the ones that are already there, without having to worry about whether or not something will work.

I’m sorry you are experiencing this bug.

1. What version of Windows OS and Scrivener are you using?
  2. Do you lose any data when Scrivener crashes?
  3. Do you backup your project on exiting Scrivener? If so, where are your backups saved?
  4. Have you installed any new software on your system recently?
  5. When was the last time you deleted the temporary files on your computer?
  6. Are you using syncing services such as Dropbox?

These questions should help us narrow down the source of the bug. Sorry for the inconvenience you have been experiencing.

One thing you could try exiting Scrivener without creating a backup at the same time to see if its the backup that is causing the issue.

1. If you want to create a backup before exiting Go to File > Back Up > Back Up Now.
  2. Go to Tools > Options > Backup tab. Make sure Backup on project close in UNCHECKED/BLANK.
  3. Go to File > Exit

I’m going to have to admit that I’ve had a hard time reproducing this one myself. I suspect it has something to do with the “import only supported files” checkbox in options–as odd as that might sound–but can’t be sure.

1. Windows 7, Scriv 1.0.3
  2. No.
  3. Yes. I save them to I:/Writing/Backups, which is on my external hard drive. I like keeping everything together so that if I delete a project myself, I don’t have to search all over Hell’s half acre to get rid of the backups too.
  4. I uninstalled and then reinstalled Scrivener itself in the hope of getting rid of the last bug I discovered–no such luck.
  5. I delete them every day.
  6. No.

Lastly, I apologize for sounding a little frustrated.

I have been unable to recreate this bug so far. More questions I am afraid.

1. What type of documents have you imported in Scrivener?
  2. Have you discounted backups as a cause of the exit crash?
  3. Why do you think the import checkbox may be a cause of the crash?
  4. What is your Scrivener exit procedure?

I’ll try and do my best to recreate this. Thank you for being patient and answering my questions.

1. None.
  2. Yes.
  3. Because it stopped crashing when I unchecked it.
  4. After saving, I just close the window with the X in the upper right corner.

I don’t expect you’ll be able to make it happen again, because I haven’t been able to myself. I started crashing, then stopped and hasn’t started again. Right now, I’m more concerned about this.