Scrivener crashing immediately whenever I open any project

Everything was working fine last night, but this morning as soon as I try to type anything at all in any project, the app crashes. It opens files without problem, and I can create a new project, but as soon as I try to make any change to the actual text (typing or deleting) it crashes immediately.

I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling the app, but it didn’t make any difference. My guess is that it has something to do with search indices (since on opening a project there is a brief popup saying something like “Rebuilding search indices”), but I have no idea how to fix that.

I’m on OSX 10.12.1 Sierra.

Edit: I tried opening the same project on another laptop, and that works fine - no crashes, no search index popup, and editing the text works as expected.

2nd edit: Rebooted the machine, and now it seems to be fine. Guess there was something screwy going on in the guts of OSX…

I’ve had Scrivener crash on my Mac a few times without warning or when I’ve just opened it and clicked ‘save’. It took a reboot to get it working again. A few times it’s happened when I’ve taken a document out of Dropbox and tried opening it and other times it’s happened when I’ve just tried opening a document on the Mac without it ever being in Dropbox. I’m using macOS Sierra version 10.12.1. And Scrivener version 2.8.
It seems a reboot of the Mac sorts it out each time.
I’ve not had any problems with Scrivener on iOS though.

All-in-all it’s a wonderful tool for writing and I keep recommending it to my friends :smiley:

LATEST: iOS Scrivener started crashing on my phone. I tried a restart but that didn’t work. I had to remove it and download again.

Bumping this report since it’s still happening, albeit rarely. But, every now and then, Scrivener will crash as soon as I try to type anything.

Please make sure that you have the latest version of Scrivener, 2.8.1.2, released yesterday, and the latest version of Sierra.

If that doesn’t help, it’s hard to suggest any kind of diagnosis without a look at the crash report.

Katherine

Thanks, will try an upgrade and see if it happens any more…

Most of the time no crash report is presented, it just kills itself. For future reference, where can app-specific crash reports be found on OSX?

There should be an “Application has crashed” message, with an option to send a report and see the details. If that’s not what you see, a screenshot of the error message would be helpful, too.

Katherine

Yeah, that’s what should happen - it doesn’t always though. Most of the time when it has happened, the app just vanishes and no error reporting kicks in.

Hmph. Did the upgrade help? – Katherine

Seems to so far - I’ll come back if and when it happens again. :slight_smile: