Scrivener Crashing - Lost Files!

Anyone else having issues with Scrivener crashing and being unable to open files? I’ve had two separate files crash in two weeks. I’m using OS X El Capitan 10.11.13 and Scrivener 2.7. I’ve contacted Literature and Latte but was hoping to get this resolved quicker. It’s extremely frustrating to sit down to write and the files have crashed. Luckily, I’ve backed up in Dropbox. However, the new file I was trying to open was the one I manually recovered from Dropbox because the first Scrivener file crashed. And now the second…

same problem here. when trying to open a new project, the program freezes and I have to force quiet. Any ideas?

same exact problem here. The program shuts down. I am also using El Captain and the latest version of Scrivener.

I bet you’re all exiting the app while in Apple’s ‘Full Screen’. Try going to

scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … ll-screen-

Mr X

You were right! Thank you. Taking the project out of full screen has eliminated the problem. Again, thank you!! :smiley:

No, I"m not operating in full screen and it’s crashing with all files large and small. Extremely disappointing and I’ve put in countless hours a) learning the program and b) working on very important documents.

What’s worse is that when I reopen, has to re-index, and for a large project, that’s a lot.

Further, file is getting corrupted and I have to restore from last working backup.

I’ve tried switching from storing in Dropbox to regular location on hard drive but that doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Any answers yet?

How about this issue—relevant in your case?

scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ … -os-x-1011

Best

Briar Kit

It’s nearly impossible to troubleshoot a crash without the following information:

• contents of the crash report

• version of Scrivener?

• version of OS X?

In particular, note that El Capitan has known issues with all versions of Scrivener before 2.7.

In general, though, the first step is to load Scrivener without any projects, which you can do by holding the Shift key when the program starts. If the crash was transient, that may clear it completely, but in any case it will help determine whether the problem is with the specific project or with Scrivener itself.

It can also be helpful to boot your Mac in Safe Mode, by holding the Shift key when you hear the startup tone. We’re seeing fewer conflicts with other software these days, but having a clean startup environment reduces the number of possible variables,

Katherine