Scrivener creating a .zip file everytime I quit the program

I just discovered there are hundreds of hundreds of .zip files of my Scrivener project cluttering my computer and taking up over 7GB of storage. Everytime I open the Scrivener project and close it again a new one gets created. Is there a way to only keep the newest one of those backup .zip files? I don’t wanna go back everytime and delete them manually.

Thank you.

Just check and change your preferences:

Slàinte mhòr.

I just checked, and it was already set to only keep the last 5.

Also, is there a reason your version of Scrivener looks more modern? How can I update if that’s the case? I included a screenshot.

If your computer can run version 3 (Requires macOS 10.12 +), then you can upgrade for 50% off: store3.esellerate.net/store/che … remail.htm

Be warned; the compile function has changed radically. It’s much more flexible compared to how you organize your binder, but you should look over the tutorials on upgrading, and not be in a hurry to get your writing into publishable/submittable form.

As for your main issue; is your project in the same folder as the backups folder? If so, move it out of there. By design, Scrivener treats a project in the backups folder as a signal not to delete old backups–you might be trying to recover something that would be lost if the oldest one was deleted when it created a new backup.

Perfect, I created an own folder for the backups which solved the issue! Thanks!

To the new version - that’s unfortunate that one has to pay to upgrade. I haven’t seen that for any other program. I think you should only have to pay once for a program and get any updates for free.

For “point releases”, as in 3.01, 3.1, 3.2, … , 3.30… those are free. But major upgrades are quite frequently paid upgrades industry-wide. Be glad they didn’t go to a monthly/yearly subscription model license as seems to be the trend lately.

The last paid update to Mac Scrivener was the release of Scrivener 2.0, in 2010. The next one will be the release of Scrivener 4.0, which is not yet even in the planning stages.

I think a bit more research would show you that it is quite common for companies to charge for major updates. That you haven’t seen it is more a reflection of your own software usage than of the true state of the industry.

Katherine